CoinPeople.com

I'm confused about my auction going so high... Opinions?

KevinCali25

I put my old US bank notes for auction here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-old-US-paper-mo...11.c0.m14.l1318

I started the auction at $20 opening bid, thinking it would go no higher than $25 or $30 max. I'm starting to feel guilty about how high the auction has went. I don't know a whole lot about the values of these notes except that I thought they weren't worth much over face value. Also the way I took the picture, a lot of the details of the condition of the bills don't show up such as folds & wrinkles etc. I just put "circulated" as the condition of them. Did I screw up? :ninja:

I'm relatively new to buying notes on eBay, so others might have more useful comments...

I think you did fine, I see nothing wrong with the auction. My specific beef is with a phrase like "Fantastic condition, see scans for specifics". It seems to get used fairly often, and by folks who've managed to get a photo of their note absolutely pressed flat (maybe a plate of glass sitting on it?), and the inference is that this shot on the web discloses everything. Well it does not, and as a buyer my tendency is to hope every note is in fantastic condition, when it most likely is not.

But your auction simply states the notes are circulated, and if someone cared to ask for more details you were available. You didn't imply anything more. Congrats on the sale!

Dave

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the winner will be happy. You can see some of these notes in much greater detail if you click on my banknotebanks link. Only that I did mess with the lighting to make the notes look as good as possible... I didn't mess with the picture in the eBay auction though.

Looking at your auction's bid history, I see that there was a small bid war between at least two persons. As long as your photos and descriptions are not misleading (and they certainly don't seem to be) then you're just fine.

I've seen some odd things going on on Ebay - even a bidding war that far exceeds the 'Buy It Now' price on an identical note in the same or better condition.

Sometimes people also just "hate to lose" an auction and will bid higher than the market value. I've had this happen on several of my auctions before, one time I had a 1800 1 Thaler sell for nearly twice the market value because two people were "fighting" over it. Personally I see nothing wrong with your auction, and the price is a bit high, but not rediculous for what happens on ebay from time to time. I think you'll be fine.

Archived