CoinPeople.com

My son's banknote

Papel

My son got a 50 Euro note in change, which has a stamp under the 50 on the right-hand side of the reverse. We have been told this isn't a printing error, but the bank don't know what it is - has anyone here any idea at all, please? It is most definitely under the number, not added later.

If anyone can satisfy our curiosity, we'd be very grateful.

That is what is called a 'chop mark'. They are funky little stamps of many varying designs that are put onto foreign banknotes by banks and other money-handling institutions in parts of the World where counterfeiting is fairly rampant (often in Asia) when they pass their reality tests are are then considered to be OK to handle within that institution. Once they leave that institution, the marks are no longer valid in that or any other such institution. It is not unusual to find banknotes with several such marks.

I often see them on USA banknotes, too.

Mike

Thanks indeed, Brett and Mike.

How do they manage to get the stamp under the number instead of on top of it? Also, there is a dot on the map on the note, it looks like on somewhere in Germany...

I'm going to look up 'chop mark', I appreciate the replies :ninja:

If you can get a better and close scan of the chopmark we can try and help you identify it. This is, as said, a fairly common practice in the Middle East, Asia, and South America for US $100.00 banknotes, I've handled plenty at my work with many different languages and symbols. They are quite interesting, I think Matt actually made a post of some of his. *goes to find old post*

Here we are:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...amp;hl=chopmark

Have a look, it's quite interesting and Matt made a nice study of them.

Thanks indeed, Brett and Mike.

How do they manage to get the stamp under the number instead of on top of it? Also, there is a dot on the map on the note, it looks like on somewhere in Germany...

I'm going to look up 'chop mark', I appreciate the replies :ninja:

The stamp looks like it is under the banknote's number because its ink will not stick to the banknote's ink, but will stick to and be absorbed by the paper. The other 'dot' is likely just a piece of other debris or dirt that banknotes normally accumulate over their lifetimes. Again, these chop mark stamps are very common on higher-value notes.

Mike

Here is the closer view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maireadaseacht/2692169023/

The dot on the map could be just as you have said, but interestingly it marks Frankfurt.

Thanks for all your help.

If you look very closely at it you can see that it really does overlap the purple 50, it is certainly a stamp. As for what it is.....I'll leave that for the experts.

Archived