CoinPeople.com

kopek error?!?

cervonsas

Hello to all people who share the passion of coin collecting,

I started to enjoy this hobby about a year ago.And for the last month I was kind of silent coinpeople.com forum browser.And right now I found some russian kopeks with defects and I can't find any info on these defects.So I would aprecciate if you guys can help me. The first one is 1912 15 kopeks the obverse looks fine but the reverse has a line which starts on 9 o'clock of the rim and goes thru the eagles feathers and ends on 12 o'clock of the rim. and the other coin is 1911 20k the obverse looks to me it just "went south-west" a bit off center(or is it just me ;) ) and plus the details in this coin are quite nice but the middle of the obverse right above the date looks unusually weak strike, and the same at the reverse right there where horseman(st.george I believe) is spearing a dragon.150638943_o.jpg

150638966_o.jpg

150638988_o.jpg

150639011_o.jpg

Thank you in advance for your complains or comments.And sorry if I look silly with my "error" coins :ninja: .Still in the learning process.

Happy collecting to all of you!

Hi and welcome to coinpeople, cervonsas. :ninja:

The 1912 15 kopek looks like it has a die crack which is not rare but most certainly not common. The 1911 20 kopek however looks like a counterfeit, which is a surprise - not something I have seen before but I'm sure it's a counterfeit.

Counterfeits of the late imperial 20 kopeeks certainly exist. I have one. I hear they are not that uncommon. I'm not sure if this is one of them, mine looks cruder, but this one does look a bit funky. Does the coin have copper shining through the silver plating?

We are talking about counterfeits for circulation, right?

Thank you all for the answers.I aprecciate.

The 1911 kopek might be a fake,because it looks to me a bit thin and definetly doesnt have any silver-like oxidation-looks dull. And Ariba is right the line at the 4o'clock looks like a die crack.Actually I took another picture and you can see the line(die crack) on the 8 o'clock but again the details in scepter its just looks too amateurish especially at the bottom of the scepter those two dots-its like they are placed to far away from each other.

Thank you all for respoding.

150873335_o.jpg

Hi and welcome to coinpeople, cervonsas. :ninja:

The 1912 15 kopek looks like it has a die crack which is not rare but most certainly not common. The 1911 20 kopek however looks like a counterfeit, which is a surprise - not something I have seen before but I'm sure it's a counterfeit.

I agree. The 20 kopecks is a counterfeit. The lettering and eagle are all wrong.

RWJ

Archived