CoinPeople.com

Help Identify 6 Coins

texascello

The first one is Japanese, as gxseries said. The second one is Iran one rial, dated AH1359 KM1183. The third one is Nepalese 2 paisa, probably KM753. The fourth is Tunisia 100 millim coin dated 1960 - KM309. Fifth is a Thailand coin, sorry cannot help with the date on this.. And the last one is somekind of a token. As I do not collect tokens, I can hardly help you with that one.

Good luck.

Sarunas

A slight spelling variation found this link.

I'm not sure if there's a connection but it looks probable to me.

"Tivoli A/S provides amusement park management services through its subsidiary. The company’s subsidiary, Tivoli International, owns and operates concert halls and amusement venues. Tivoli A/S, formerly known as A/S Kjobenhavns Sommer-Tivoli, was founded in 1843 and is based in Copenhagen, Denmark."

Thank you everyone! This really helped me out. :ninja:

Also, how do you determine the date of a coin just by those numbers (i.e. KM753, AH1359 KM1183 etc.)? Is there some kind of table or something that gives you the date for these?

The KM number as in "KM-753" or "KM-1183" is a reference to the number assigned to that coin type in the Krause-Mishler ("KM") catalog of world coins. The KM number refers to the design type (not the date).

AH1359 is a year according to Islamic dating. I'm not sure, but I think it starts with some event in Mohammed's life which was roughly sometime around 700 or so AD by our calendar.

I'm sure someone knowledgeable in Islamic coinage can provide a better answer (because I'm too lazy to look up the details right now) ;)

AH stands for Anno Hegira, or the number of years since the Hegira, which was the flight of Mohammed from Mecca to Medina. This occured in 622 C. E. (or A. D. if you prefer). You might think you could get the Christian (C. E.) date by adding 622 to the AH date, but you would be wrong, because the Islamic calendar is lunar, not solar. For relatively recent dated coins you can add 580 to get an approximation to the C. E. date, but if you go back 400 years or so the factor is more like 590. It increases as you go continue to earlier dates until you get to 622 at AH 0.

Regarding the Nepal coin (Third coin)

It reads -

Obverse -

"Shri Bhawani"

"Dui Paisa" (two paisa)

Reverse -

"Nepal 2026 (This is as per Vikram Samvat calender, the year in AD is 1969)

"Shri 5 Birendra Vikram Shah Dev" (After the honorific 'Shri' in front of the kings name, the numeral 5 is traditionally used to signifiy more respect as in saying 'shri, shri.... five times).

A link for Vikram Samvat calender and corresponding years in AD is given below

http://numismaticon.com/encyclopedia/calendars/nepalese

Hope this has been helpful

:ninja:

Iran used the Islamic lunar calendar (AH) dating until the Pahlavis came to power after WWI, when they switched to dates based on the solar calendar. In the coin catalogs these dates are denoted with "SH" instead of "AH". When the Shah was overthrown, the Islamic Republic kept this style of dating. Your 1 rial is dated SH1359 which corresponds to 1980 and thus is a coin from the Islamic Republic.

Archived