CoinPeople.com

Ebay fakes

thelawnet

Check these fakes

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...dan+1899+handel

Shoddy amateur absurd fakes.

Reported to ebay several times, yet they're still on sale.

They told me there is no way to explain why the item is counterfeit, you've just got to send the item numbers, and hope they know something about the subject.

Which they clearly dont.

They told me there is no way to explain why the item is counterfeit, you've just got to send the item numbers, and hope they know something about the subject.

what are the diagnostics for a fake of this variety? ebay's interface does prevent you from giving specific information when you report an item that doesn't comply with their policy.

For those of us unfamiliar with these notes, how do you determine that they are fake?? Do you have images of genuine pieces for comparison??

Well firstly, it's inconceivable that there would be such a limitless supply of uncirculated 1899 banknotes from Medan.

But if you look at the note:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showim...,0&format=0

it bears the laughable printers mark 'Jhon ench zone', i.e. Joh. Enschedé en Zonen, the major Dutch printer (www.joh-enschede.com).

There are other differences with the genuine note, but suffice to say it's a fairly amateur counterfeit.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with thelawnet, these look fake to me, the misspelled printers mark being a dead giveaway.

Also, the paper seems too thick/artificially aged and the printing looks like it was done yesterday.

Based on about three dozen Netherlands notes I owned dated from 1916-1924 I would call these suspect at the very least. :ninja:

Archived