CoinPeople.com

Grading question

cestrin

So I have a coin I purchased that I've been looking at (I'll come out and say it's a 2008 ASE). I look over the coin and see that there really aren't any flaws in the coin surface itself (no scratches, etc.). When I purchased the coin I didn't look hard enough and now have found that there are cracks around the face, right at the edge (one on each side, about a millimeter or so long)...not that I'm planning on selling it but, out of curiosity, how does something like this affect the grade of a coin? If you want to try to see what I'm talking about I have a pic up at my omnicoin.

I managed to post a pic of just the top part...the crack is a glint on the edge between the E and R in LIBERTY.

2008_ASE_001.jpg

So I have a coin I purchased that I've been looking at (I'll come out and say it's a 2008 ASE). I look over the coin and see that there really aren't any flaws in the coin surface itself (no scratches, etc.). When I purchased the coin I didn't look hard enough and now have found that there are cracks around the face, right at the edge (one on each side, about a millimeter or so long)...not that I'm planning on selling it but, out of curiosity, how does something like this affect the grade of a coin? If you want to try to see what I'm talking about I have a pic up at my omnicoin.

I managed to post a pic of just the top part...the crack is a glint on the edge between the E and R in LIBERTY.

2008_ASE_001.jpg

The picture is not focussed well enough, nor is it of sufficient resolution, to see what you are talking about. I can't see anything in this picture except some little disturbance which looks like it is actually ON the edge, not "right at the edge", and could just be due to the angle of lighting ... so I'm not sure we are seeing the same thing.

As to the grade, 70 is (or would be) a perfect coin, and of course there is no such thing. Anything below 67 for modern proofs is just bullion to many people, unless it is of very low mintage (i.e. a rare date) or a spectacular error variety. So there is a very small range of grades that "matter" for this type of coin.

Well, this coin is UNC and I'm not looking for an exact grade (forget the picture), it was a question I was thinking about. In general, what do cracks on the edge do to the grade of a coin?

All else being equal, a BU coin with perfect rims should grade higher than one with any rim defects.

It's more of a bag mark.

Alright, I know the value's going to drop, thanks. My main question is how does a bag mark on the rim compare to a bag mark on the face of the coin.

My initial idea is that it wouldn't knock the grade down as much as most people look to the face of the coin for the beauty. That's my instinct though. I want to know what y'all think.

Alright, everyone who reads this, forget anything about ASE's, I know they're easy to find and don't have much value above melt.

I pose my question again. In general, does a bag mark on the outside of the face (near the rim) decrease the grade as much as a ligit scratch on the surface? Once again, I'd imagine most people care about the face of the coin (where the detail is) so a slight ding on the outside of the coin may not change the grade. Then again, I'm no grader and don't know if they grade down as much if there is a mark towards the outside.

I hope someone can answer my general question.

In general, does a bag mark on the outside of the face (near the rim) decrease the grade as much as a ligit scratch on the surface?

In my opinion, it wouldn't decrease it as much as one on the field would.

Regards,

Clive.

There's a pretty big different between a "bagmark" and a "scratch". Bagmarks probably happened at the mint and thus won't detract much from the grade unless there are many of them or they are in bad places such as on the portrait. Whereas even a single scratch could reduce the coin by a grade or two, depending on severity. Then there are rim dings, usually cause from circulation, which are also undesirable.

Archived