CoinPeople.com

Missing lot

grivna1726

Lot 60 of MiM sale # 50 seems to have vanished. It was a 5 kopek copper plate of 1726. Does anyone know why it was (apparently) withdrawn from the sale?

plate5kka7.jpgplate5krevqv7.jpg

5 копеек 1726 года, квадратная «плата», «ЕКАТЕРИНЪБУРХЪ», орел без изображения Святого Георгия на груди. Гурт гладкий. Медь, 72,35 г. Размер: 43 х 43 (мм). Сохранность почти отличная, старая патина. ГМ# 18.9 (очень редкая). Brekke# 41 (черта с двумя точками) RR. Уздеников# 4066 (!!). Дьяков# 1 ®. Биткин# 354 (R4). Исключительно редкие, 150 рублей по Ильину, 250 рублей по Петрову.

Данный экземпляр из коллекции известного русского нумизмата графа И.И.Толстого. Именно на примере этой монеты приводилось описание типа штемпеля – орел без московского герба на груди. Фотоизображение этой пятикопеечной «платы» приведено во всех без исключения каталогах по российским монетам. Кроме данного экземпляра, были известны всего две подобные монеты – в коллекции Государственного Эрмитажа и в коллекции П.И.Тарасова в Екатеринбурге.

Оценка - 6.000.000 руб. - 7.000.000 руб.

Based on the provenance on this coin (pictured in all the classic references), it is unlikely that it was removed due to not being genuine.

Most likely someone made an offer they could not refuse. :ninja:

Thank you for your reply, Igor.

I agree that any reasonable concern over authenticity is highly improbable. I am convinced the plate is genuine.

This is a coin that could have easily exceeded the approximately $300,000 estimate, possibly by a substantial amount given its extreme rarity as a type. A Constantine rouble brought much more a few years ago.

So it must have been a very impressive offer (if that is indeed what happened).

Yes I do. It is a fake.

Thank you. That is surprising, although one cannot really authenticate a coin from an image, only from seeing the coin itself (although one can often detect a fake from an image alone).

Most of the fake plates offered are relatively easy to detect when compared to known genuine coins. This one is much more dangerous. ;)

Once again, thank you for your reply. It is good to know that MiM did the right thing and pulled the lot. :ninja:

Speaking of plate money, there will be an offering of 10 kopecks on the next World Wide Coins of California (Mr. Elmen) sale. Interested in such may start preparing "piles of money" already. :ninja:

WCO

Actually, there will be two grivna's coins offered, different types.

There are some very impressive piles of money being made in Russia these days ;)
I have seen grivna 5 years ago, was made in the same style/ :ninja: .Coin was purchasing by collector above 15 -20 years back.

Archived