CoinPeople.com

Unusual find in an 1868 math book

Vfox

I collect old books, papers, checks, parchment and what have you as well as numismatic items. Rarely have these two really crossed paths until I noticed this little book in a pile I won at auction. There are two impressions of a UNC shield nickel dated 1867 and an impression of a 1868 or 1866 UNC indian head cent. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw these! To think that some kid pressed these coins, probably to buy food at the market after school, in his math book.

Have a look!

1z6xd3m.jpg

166aex2.jpg

The nickels in the front

23kbt6r.jpg

Inverted

4g2i6c.jpg

The Indian head impression

16liqgz.jpg

The nickels in the back

3324fnk.jpg

Inverted

14wxgki.jpg

23wv13m.jpg

Similarly my wife used to collect old school books, one time we found a grammar school book in a bookstore that had the Shield nickels and some 1870's Indians pressed into it. The funny thing we find with 18th and 19th century school books is that they are rather cheap price wise.

Similarly my wife used to collect old school books, one time we found a grammar school book in a bookstore that had the Shield nickels and some 1870's Indians pressed into it. The funny thing we find with 18th and 19th century school books is that they are rather cheap price wise.

Very cool, if you have it you should try and get some scans up as well. :ninja:

I've actually never paid more than $20 for any single book in my collection, and that was an old ledger from a railway company. Most of the books I buy are from yardsales, auctions, and the book sale at school. I've gotten plenty of books ranging from the 1820's to the 1920's for less than $2-3 each, some even less. I love the old, really rough examples with writing, drawings, and random stuff on the inside. I have an old French book from 1832ish with drawings of stick figures in top hats with flint-lock pistols dueling, how cool is that!?

Very cool, if you have it you should try and get some scans up as well. :ninja:

I've actually never paid more than $20 for any single book in my collection, and that was an old ledger from a railway company. Most of the books I buy are from yardsales, auctions, and the book sale at school. I've gotten plenty of books ranging from the 1820's to the 1920's for less than $2-3 each, some even less. I love the old, really rough examples with writing, drawings, and random stuff on the inside. I have an old French book from 1832ish with drawings of stick figures in top hats with flint-lock pistols dueling, how cool is that!?

The only books I collect are old banking books, primarily on Scottish banks, my oldest is from 1806. I paid something like $6 for it, and it is fascinating because it has exchange rates betwixt sterling and other leading currencies of the time. But even the old schoolbooks are fascinating for the stuff that was learned back then and the more formal grammar than is used now. Actually we did not buy the book with the nickel and penny presses in it, unfortunately it had missing pages and lots of torn pages.

Archived