CoinPeople.com

1726-KD pyatak on eBay

bobh

Supposed to be Brekke 16:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290203601245

Eagle tail looks wrong to me (too wide); lettering of date seems too big and irregular. As usual, the condition is almost "too good to be true".

Has anyone seen this one before?

(edit): I just noticed that in the auction description the weight is given as "Approx weight is 11 gr". Since the regular weight should be 20 gr (copper standard = 40 roubles / pood), I suppose this is the seller's way of saying: "This coin is a fake..." :ninja:

Look at his "About Me" page and you will find the following that says all you need to know:

We are a factory representative of great Russian hand carfted items. We import our items directly from Russian craftsmen and pass the savings on. a

See, this piece was recently carfted by carftsman in Russia. :ninja:

Supposed to be Brekke 16:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290203601245

Eagle tail looks wrong to me (too wide); lettering of date seems too big and irregular. As usual, the condition is almost "too good to be true".

Has anyone seen this one before?

(edit): I just noticed that in the auction description the weight is given as "Approx weight is 11 gr". Since the regular weight should be 20 gr (copper standard = 40 roubles / pood), I suppose this is the seller's way of saying: "This coin is a fake..."

The lettering seems very poorly done. The chances of being genuine seem remote.

RWJ

I think the seller is member on this forum...

I am sure you are right.

BTW, someone has pointed out to the seller that the coin may be a fake and the seller has included the comment and his response, in which he agrees that the coin may be counterfeit, on the listing.

I am sure you are right.

BTW, someone has pointed out to the seller that the coin may be a fake and the seller has included the comment and his response, in which he agrees that the coin may be counterfeit, on the listing.

That "someone" was me ... however, he did not include what I wrote to him. Here is the original text of my message:

Why do you think a genuine coin of this type would weigh only 11 grams? Correct weight is 20 grams! Besides, the eagle design is wrong, and the lettering of the date too large. I therefore think it must be a clever fake ... hope you didn't pay too much for this one!

:ninja:

Bobh

I hope that you received my reply to you:

Thank you for your message. It very well could be a copy, I am not expert in Russian coins. As many characteristics as possible have been provided along with high resolution pictures for buyer to make their own judgment on this lot. This reply is being posted on the listing of this lot to make sure that by no means I guarantee the authenticity of this coin. As always you have 7 days unconditional money back guarantee.

This reply has also been posted on Ebay listing for anyone to read.

Regards

That "someone" was me ... however, he did not include what I wrote to him. Here is the original text of my message:

Why do you think a genuine coin of this type would weigh only 11 grams? Correct weight is 20 grams! Besides, the eagle design is wrong, and the lettering of the date too large. I therefore think it must be a clever fake ... hope you didn't pay too much for this one!

:ninja:

I hope that you received my reply to you:

I did receive your reply.

"Thank you for your message. It very well could be a copy, I am not expert in Russian coins. As many characteristics as possible have been provided along with high resolution pictures for buyer to make their own judgment on this lot. This reply is being posted on the listing of this lot to make sure that by no means I guarantee the authenticity of this coin. As always you have 7 days unconditional money back guarantee."

This reply has also been posted on Ebay listing for anyone to read.

Regards

Yes, but it is not in the main body of the description ... you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page, then click on the answer in order to read the whole text. It is standard procedure for people who are trying to advertise something they know has faults, to list the faults in very small print at the bottom of the ad, knowing that many people will not bother to read everything. It is also interesting that you did not post the text of my original message, which would have shown up on the main page for everyone to read (that is, for everyone who bothered to scroll down that far...). Then it would have been obvious WHY I thought the coin was fake. :ninja:

I would not feel comfortable knowing that someone is paying over $300 for what is most probably a fake coin. It is your business, of course, but if I were the seller, I would have cancelled the auction early and had the coin checked. If you were then satisfied that it was genuine, you could have relisted it ... and perhaps even gotten a better price!

Archived