CoinPeople.com

Fort Ross Siberian Money

alexbq2

I saw this on eBay (where else?) the other day. It looks like a genuine Siberian 5 kopeeks. Maybe a cast? I can't tell from the scan. But how did they get Fort Ross onto it? And why? Fort Ross being a former Russian colony/trading post, the Siberian money from that period could have made it to California.

fortRoss1.JPG

fortRoss2.JPG

I saw this on eBay (where else?) the other day. It looks like a genuine Siberian 5 kopeeks. Maybe a cast? I can't tell from the scan. But how did they get Fort Ross onto it? And why?

Fort Ross being a former Russian colony/trading post, the Siberian money from that period could have made it to California.

It is a copy for tourists. I saw these at the gift shop at Fort Ross about 5 years ago or so. I think it was $3 a piece or something like that.

When I lived in California we used to go up there about once a year or when family came up, and they did sell these things in the gift shop there. They also sold Tsarist paper money for something like $4 each. Allegedly a 5 kopek coin was found there in the 1940's. When my mother was about 7 or 8 she found a dish near the beach there and reported it, and the park people promptly seized it, then it was never seen again in the museum etc. and now I wonder that one of the park people kept it or sold it.

Allegedly a 5 kopek coin was found there in the 1940's.

Thanks, I was wandering if it was based on something they found. I read up on the history of Fort Ross. It was created in 1810 or so, by the colonists from Russian Alaska. To Alaska Russian ships most probably sailed out of Arkhangelsk (my supposition). So the sailors and colonists would be going through and from Siberia, hence Siberian coins would not be unexpected.

BTW, there is (was) a whole Russian musical based on the story linked to the creation of that fort. It was really popular in the late 80's.

Thanks, I was wandering if it was based on something they found. I read up on the history of Fort Ross. It was created in 1810 or so, by the colonists from Russian Alaska. To Alaska Russian ships most probably sailed out of Arkhangelsk (my supposition). So the sailors and colonists would be going through and from Siberia, hence Siberian coins would not be unexpected.

BTW, there is (was) a whole Russian musical based on the story linked to the creation of that fort. It was really popular in the late 80's.

Somewhere in all my junk, I have a set of stamps that I bought in Russia that commemorated something connected with the Fort, they would have been issued in 1990-1991 or so.

Even further back in history, (ok, WAY back) it is theorized that native Americans arrived on the continent by walking from Siberia to Alaska during the ice age, when the straight was frozen solid. Even the Incas and Aztecs trace their roots back to Siberia.

:ninja:

Ahh, so They brought some Russian money with them!!! ;)

Archived