CoinPeople.com

Need some help with some old foreign notes

Darryl

Old Foreign Notes Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of a friend has had these passed down to him. He has had them in his safe for some time and plans on keeping them there but knows nothing about them other than they were collected during the war (WWII). There are 7 or 8 20000 Marks - some sequential serial numbers. I went over for dinner and he broke them out to show me.

Please take a look and tell me anything you have time for.

More importantly, is there much value in them?

Given the way he stores them if they are valuable it would be good to know so that he might reconsider the storage method.

Best Regards

Darryl

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee123/USS656/128_2888.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee123/USS656/128_2889.jpg

I just saw these in your post over on CoinTalk.com -hope you get more info. here.

What your friend has is mainly 'notgeld', specifically 'Serienscheine' which aren't terribly expensive at all. these are not in that great of condition which would further degrade the value. To get you in the ballpark for value, I would say no more than about 2 dollars max for the notes each if sold individually. There is also the 10,000 Mark note (also known as the 'vampire' note due to the hidden image at the throat on the portrait) that I've seen go as high as 8 dollars in Uncirculated condition. The same value applies to the 20,000 marks note. You can check the going bids on Ebay for a better price range. To check the Notgeld on Ebay you need to get the name of the city that issued them which is usually fairly easy to figure out.

So - Your friend isn't rich - bummer - but he has some very interesting things passed down to him from what I presume is his family. It would have extra meaning to me if they were from family... I'd try to get the story of how they got them and keep them with the notes. Anyway, I hope your friend isn't too bummed out. I think that the notgeld is pretty cool stuff, especially if you read up on some of the history of it and why it came into being, and then there is always the theme that it has going for it as well.

Hope this helps!

What your friend has is mainly 'notgeld', specifically 'Serienscheine' which aren't terribly expensive at all. these are not in that great of condition which would further degrade the value. To get you in the ballpark for value, I would say no more than about 2 dollars max for the notes each if sold individually. There is also the 10,000 Mark note (also known as the 'vampire' note due to the hidden image at the throat on the portrait) that I've seen go as high as 8 dollars in Uncirculated condition. The same value applies to the 20,000 marks note. You can check the going bids on Ebay for a better price range. To check the Notgeld on Ebay you need to get the name of the city that issued them which is usually fairly easy to figure out.

So - Your friend isn't rich - bummer - but he has some very interesting things passed down to him from what I presume is his family. It would have extra meaning to me if they were from family... I'd try to get the story of how they got them and keep them with the notes. Anyway, I hope your friend isn't too bummed out. I think that the notgeld is pretty cool stuff, especially if you read up on some of the history of it and why it came into being, and then there is always the theme that it has going for it as well.

Hope this helps!

Thank you Dave - it helps a lot. I appreciate you taking a little time to tell me about them.

Best Regards

Darryl

Archived