CoinPeople.com

Calling all Germans (need another translation)

Drusus

Okay, I will post what I need translated, the letters are difficult so I might have a few wrong. Here ya go:

20million.jpg

20milliondetail.jpg

zahlt die reichsbankhauptkaffe in berlin gegen diese banknote dem einlieferer. ab kann diese banknote aufgerufen und unter amtausch gegen andere gesezliche zahlungsmittel eingezogen werden

the reichsbankhauptkaffe in Berlin pays the deliverer against this note. off this note can be called and be drawn in under amtausch against other gesezliche currencies

20milliondetail2.jpg

wer banknote nachmacht oder verfalscht?, oder nachgemachte oder verfalschte sich verschafft und in verkehr bringt wird mit zuchthaus micht unter zwei jahren bestraft

Anyone who copies or counterfeits this note or traffics in copies and counterfeit notes will be punished with 2 years in the penitentiary?

That last one I might have wrong, some of the words I dont know and cant translate. Thanks

Okay, I will post what I need translated, the letters are difficult so I might have a few wrong. Here ya go:

zahlt die reichsbankhauptkaffe in berlin gegen diese banknote dem einlieferer. ab kann diese banknote aufgerufen und unter amtausch gegen andere gesezliche zahlungsmittel eingezogen werden

the reichsbankhauptkaffe in Berlin pays the deliverer against this note. off this note can be called and be drawn in under amtausch against other gesezliche currencies

I believe this means it will be paid or exchanged for other similar currencies (nothing was being paid, currencies were being withdrawn and new currencies issued during the inflationary period).

wer banknote nachmacht oder verfalscht?, oder nachgemachte oder verfalschte sich verschafft und in verkehr bringt wird mit zuchthaus micht unter zwei jahren bestraft

Anyone who copies or counterfeits this note or traffics in copies and counterfeit notes will be punished with 2 years in the penitentiary?

That last one I might have wrong, some of the words I dont know and cant translate. Thanks

That's about right, but I will defer to better German.

The first part says in German: (...) zahlt die Reichsbankhauptkasse in Berlin gegen diese Banknote dem Einlieferer. Vom 1. September 1923 ab kann diese Banknote aufgerufen und unter Umtausch gegen andere gesetzliche Zahlungsmittel eingezogen werden

In English that would be: (...) will the Reichsbank main cash desk in Berlin pay to the bearer against this banknote. As from 1 September 1923 this bank note can be called and withdrawn against other legal tender

The other text, in German: Wer Banknoten nachmacht oder verfälscht, oder nachgemachte oder verfälschte sich verschafft und in Verkehr bringt, wird mit Zuchthaus nicht unter zwei Jahren bestraft

Which in English is about this: Anyone who counterfeits or fraudulently alters banknotes, or gets hold of such and enters them into circulation, will be punished with at least two years of prison.

Notes: verfälschen refers to modifying an actual note so that it appears to have a higher value. A simple example would be to turn a "10" note into a "100" note by adding a zero. :ninja: And a Zuchthaus was a prison that had extremely hard conditions, like manual labor in quarries. We even had them in the early years of the Federal Republic, until about 40 years ago.

Christian

Some variation of the counterfeiting warning has appeared on German banknotes up until the introduction of the €uro.

That is actually the very same text as on that Reichsbank note, including the term "Zuchthaus". In 1969 that was replaced by "Freiheitsstrafe". The last DM series, issued in the early 90s, did not have such warnings on the notes any more.

Christian

yeah, I thought I fixed all the those :ninja: Those s's look a hell of a lot like lower case f's I have to say. ;)

I assume it is in fact 'reichsbankhauptkasse' which translates to 'realm bank main cash' as far as I can tell.

I assume it is in fact 'reichsbankhauptkasse' which translates to 'realm bank main cash' as far as I can tell.

If this was a translation job, I would probably leave Reichsbank as it is. That was, in the years of the German Empire (Deutsches Reich), the name of the central bank. But I won't split any hairs tonight. :ninja:

Christian

If this was a translation job, I would probably leave Reichsbank as it is. That was, in the years of the German Empire (Deutsches Reich), the name of the central bank. But I won't split any hairs tonight. :ninja:

Christian

I think I understand...You mean that Reichsbank, althought it could be broken down to its parts and translated, is more of a formal name of the central bank and can just stand as is as 'Reichsbank main cash' ? This will go on my page so I would like to get it as close to correct as I can so nitpicking is fine ;)

You mean that Reichsbank, althought it could be broken down to its parts and translated, is more of a formal name of the central bank and can just stand as is as 'Reichsbank main cash' ?

Yep. If you leave for example Bundesbank (the central bank of the Federal Republic) as it is, instead of translating it (Federal Bank), you should do the same with Reichsbank in my opinion ...

See here BTW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsbank

Christian

Archived