CoinPeople.com

Stock photos

corkykile

Hi CP,

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if ebay actually did tell coin sellers that they could not use stock photos on their auctions, and if the requirement being enforced?

I questioned one seller who has 1930 and before coins on auction now. The picture is obviously not what is being sold. I sent a message to the seller and he/she said they are going to use the stock photo.

Of course, I will not buy from that seller no matter what they might have that I want.

Corky

Things like rolls, mint sets, proof sets etc. Should not hurt the seller sales. Maybe bulk stuff also. But individual coins with stock I wouldn't buy either.To me its kind of shady. They may not be doing something what could get them tossed from ebay, but it probably puts off a lot of bids.

For me it depends on what it is. If someone is selling BU '65-69 Kennedy's for a reasonable price, and has a good return policy, it doesn't really put me off. On the other hand trying to sell an 1820 Large Cent, from a stock photo, would not attract a bid from me.

I have bought numerous pieces of paper money, all uncirculated from stock photo images, they state that the serial is different, but it saves them having to image every item. With less expensive foreign currency that is the best option for the sellers. Coins on the other hand, I never buy stock photo stuff, but then I never usually buy stuff that they would be used for in coins anyway.

Archived