CoinPeople.com

Can anyone ID this coin please

moneydog

I am assuming it was found in the United States, in which it would be definitely a halfpenny. These were minted from 1770-1775, but there are many many contemporary counterfeits of these, and in my opin based on the image therein, I believe this is one of the contemporary counterfeits, probably struck in Great Britain somewhere. But there are some counterfeits known in the USA that were minted in Machins Mills, and can be tied to a particular maker there, in the USA and they are worth a bit of money, but I don't believe this is one of the Machins Mills pieces unfortunately.

Oh yes, the reverse gives it away as a counterfeit. In my opinion they are more interesting than the real coins, and often worth a bit more than the regally issued examples. The British Crown especially under George III saw no real need to make small coins, not until 1797 and the excellent Matthew Boulton coinages struck by steam presses. Even after the 1797 Cartwheel coinage, the British Crown sluffed off again on striking coins, which is why there are so many tokens now referred to as Conder Tokens from the era of 1791-1813. That it was found in PA gives it all the more interesting story, think how long it had been there. A direct connection to the colonial era.

Archived