CoinPeople.com

Questions

alexbq2

Gentlemen, I salute you. I've just found this forum and read through some recent discussions, and was immensely impressed by your level of expertize, and also your sight. That MM 2 Kop piece looked like the lunar surface to me the entire discussion. I hope, I can rely on you for the questions I may have in the future.

For now I would like to ask you about something I just saw on eBay. I did not know that there were any wire kopeek novodels around. Does anyone know if these are real, and where I could find some information about them?

RUSSIA-2K-NOV-AU55-ALEXEI.jpg

RUSSIA-DENGA-NOV-AU58-FEDOR.jpg

(hope these links are still good)

Gentlemen, I salute you. I've just found this forum and read through some recent discussions, and was immensely impressed by your level of expertize, and also your sight. That MM 2 Kop piece looked like the lunar surface to me the entire discussion. I hope, I can rely on you for the questions I may have in the future.

For now I would like to ask you about something I just saw on eBay. I did not know that there were any wire kopeek novodels around. Does anyone know if these are real, and where I could find some information about them?

Welcome to coinpeople! :ninja:

The links are not showing up in my browser right now. Hopefully that is because the server is temporarily off-line and not because the links have been removed.

If you have pictures of the coins in question saved on your computer, you could also upload them to http://www.imageshack.us/ and then post those links here.

I don't know much about wire money and have unfortunately lost touch with an old friend who does. The wire money is Russia's medieval coinage and really a separate series from the 18th century and later reformed coinage that fascinates me.

There were some gold kopeks and dengas struck during this period which are probably more military awards than actual coinage. I have seen novodels of some of these for coins dating as far back as the reign of Michael Romanov (1613-45).

There are probably also novodels of the silver wire money, but this is not an area that I know well and I could be mistaken. I think Spasskii might show some in his book ("The Russian Monetary System"), but it has been a long time since I read it and sometimes my memory plays tricks on me.

Welcome to coinpeople,

You can find novodels in Kaim(text in german) or for wire money original Melnikova (text in russian)one of the best.I will send you the links for books later.

Thank you for the replies, and for fixing my links:)

I already got Melnikova. Never seen Kaim - my German is less than rusty, I can barely read descriptions on eBay.de. I am also new to wire money collecting, started it about a year ago, when I realized that I can no longer compete for the post reform stuff:) If you know any good newer references on wires please let me know.

Of the subject, I just eBayed myself a 2 volume Bitkin catalogue for $250. Is it really worth it?

I do have more interesting questions, but I'll save them for next year.

So Happy Holidays, and Happy Holiday Shopping!!!

Of the subject, I just eBayed myself a 2 volume Bitkin catalogue for $250. Is it really worth it?

So Happy Holidays, and Happy Holiday Shopping!!!

Great book, one of the best for Russian coins with rarity ,prices and info. Not cheap.

Happy Holidays.

Archived