RW Julian

A seller in Russia offers the following medal on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270182960602

The medal is accompanied by a bizarre description, reading in part:

"The MEDAL HAS been founded In honour of the VICTORY GRAFF TOLSTOY

In FIGHT FOR Amsterdam. THE RICH HISTORY REPRESENTS THE MILITARY

CHIEF OF THOSE YEARS IN REGIMENTALS OF THE KNIGHT OF THE MIDDLE

AGES."

It is interesting to know that the artist, Count Tolstoy, was also responsible for the

capture of Amsterdam!

It gets even more interesting when one views the following eBay offering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290167063662

The purchaser of this obvious fake, at $660, is none other than the same person

who offers the 1813 medal noted above. In addition, his description is lifted almost

word-for-word from the second eBay lot; it was also purchased from an "estate" sale

and so on.

One has to wonder if the two sellers are somehow connected.

RWJ

Hi! RWJ! The medal looks pretty new for its age. It looks like it is a fresh struck peace of copper, with good punches. Modern technology allows to do it. It is just my opinion by the picture. Thks. M.

Maybe it is not fake, but a white metal medal which was cooper plated. You see these even at some auctions nowdays. Would be interesting to find out its weight.

Galvan copy most likely. The texture of the surface looks exactly like a galvanocopies I have. I have the real large medals from the similar series so I am able to compare.

If the half’s are raised in galvanic bath, filed, and glued (soldered) together this thing rings like a bell. If it is filled with some sort of a soldering metal it will sound dull.

The surfaces on the real thing are absolutely ideally even. The patina is much darker too.

So the seller doesn't risk anything (except his/her good name, if he/she comprehends a definition of it)...

The real good galvano of any large copper medal (not the eBay poo above) costs about $150-200. It is quite expensive to make.

Archived