CoinPeople.com

Help to identify a coin/medallion?

SiRoberts

I found this coin/medallion in the 1970's and I have only just cleaned all the cr*p off it. It's been in a drawer for all that time (over 30 years!!!). Anybody any idea what it might be? It's 20mm diameter and barely 1mm thick, brassy gold in colour. Picture of Obv and Rev attached.

DSCN0663b.jpg

DSCN0662b.jpg

All I can suggest is the fact that Victoria (obv) was Hanoverian (rev). The coat of arms looks similar to the Russian and German coat of arms and so might be a token to commemorate this. She married a German, Prince Albert, and so might have something to do with this too.

If it is St. George and the Dragon in the crest on the Eagle, then it would be the then Russian coat of arms. This is interesting, because Russia and Britain had a rather trying relationship during much of Queen Victoria's reign, it basically was the 19th Century equivalent of a Cold War, which occasionally became hot, ie the Crimean War of 1855-56. Britain and Russia were both contestant to many lands, particularly in Asia but also early on in North America.

I cannot see enough of the crest to validate that it is in fact St. George and the Dragon on the eagle, but the staff and orb in the Eagle's claws and the crown on the Eagles heads suggest Russia. This must have been manufactured during one of those then rare times when Russia and Britain enjoyed a period of detente.

It can not be Russian eagle. Russian eagle never have held sword!

Austrian one has, but again. 1) The shield shows colors: gules (red), argent (white), gules. Looks Austrian colors, but on this shield stripes are vertical, what never happs to Austrian. 2) Austrian eagle holds also Sceptre, which I dont see here.

I have found a couple of "Magic Tokens" with the exact same crest on the reverse, though somewhat stylized:

http://www.magic-collector.com/tokens.html - item number MT072 - F. W. Conradi-Horster

http://www.muenzauktion.com/diller/item.php?id=61115011

From the first web page, I assume a magic token was used in conjurers tricks in the dim and distant past. Is this what it could possibly be? Any expert advice would be gratefully accepted!!

Archived