CoinPeople.com

Washington dollars

jonathang5565

Hi, could someone tell me whats up with the Washington dollars? I've seen people trying to sell them with every imaginable error, such as no edge lettering, upside down edge lettering and so forth. I got a few fed rolls at my bank and the ones with edge lettering i'm getting about exactly a 50/50 mix on upside down and right side up (i'm in MS and all my rolls were from P mint) and people are trying to sell the upside down ones as errors?

Guest Stujoe

I have 2 on my desk right now from a vending machine (One Washington and One Adams). One has the edge lettering right side up when the heads side is up and the other is exactly opposite. I am betting the orientation is random just as you have found in your larger sample.

As for missing lettering, it doesn't seem very deep to my eyes and I wonder if it could easily be shaved off.

As for the errors being sold...'a fool and his money...' comes to mind. :ninja:

BTW...I saw these for the first time last week when I got a couple in change off the train and I don't like them. The reverse is ok but I can't stand the obverses and I do not like having the date, etc on the edge.

Archived