CoinPeople.com

Trying to understand this...

daggit

I do believe you are correct.

One thing of importance to notice, and this image shows it very well. Note that the doubling does not add any thickness to the outside dimensions of the numbers...it sits on top of the numbers.

True hub doubling would add to the overall thickness of the numbers.

One of the big differences between machine doubling and true hub doubling.

This coin is interesting, a nice conversation piece, worthy of addition to a curiosity collection - but - it's not a valuable rarity.

Thank you for the information, I've got the common 1979, and 1962 Canadian cents which are listed in the Charlton guide. The 1979s are famous for the doubling, I know very little of errors but am eager to learn ...just wish I could obtain more US cents here in Canada. :ninja:

I don't know about you, but I get a good 5-10% of my cents as American. I finally got around to buying Chuck's book so that I can go through all of them before I decide which to keep and which to spend. LOL

I don't know about you, but I get a good 5-10% of my cents as American. I finally got around to buying Chuck's book so that I can go through all of them before I decide which to keep and which to spend. LOL

Hi Topher, in Abbotsford BC there are quite a few to be found in change and if I purchase rolls of cents at the bank I can get anywhere from 3 - 10 in a roll but I would like to be able to purchase rolls of US cents seeing how thats where my interest is. Don't much like Canadian cents. :ninja:

Do American cents circulate in Toronto as much as Canadian cents circulate in Toledo? Generally two to four of every 100 cents in Toledo are Canadian.

Chuck, I find anywhere from 5-15 US cents in every 100. In fact, I had one roll once, that had 13 by itself! I have found more wheats in circulation up here than I ever did in the US, and I suspect that it's just Canadians gong "meh, US penny!" and passing it along, whereas an American would say, "neato, a wheat!" and put it in a jar or sock drawer or something.

Hi Topher, in Abbotsford BC there are quite a few to be found in change and if I purchase rolls of cents at the bank I can get anywhere from 3 - 10 in a roll but I would like to be able to purchase rolls of US cents seeing how thats where my interest is. Don't much like Canadian cents. smile.gif

I agree, I'm only about a 90 minute drive from Niagara Falls/Buffalo and I prefer searching US cents as well. I grew uo in PA Duch country, so I may have a different perspective.

I can remember a time where the Canadian dollar was as low as 70 cents US...a Canadian could make some money traveling around buying rolls at banks and culling out US cents. For every $70 US they collect in cents at $70 Canadian, they could get $100 Canadian back. A $30 Canadian profit. Of course this doesn't include time and gas, etc. But in this day and time with the US dollar tanking hard, the exchange is just about even - 98.5 US cents to the Canadian dollar.

I have always considered Canadian cents in my rolls to be a complete loss, because I have to pull them out. The counting machine at my bank is smart enough to eject them, and when you spend them singly around here people notice them and won't take them. Anyway, it's technically illegal to spend them here anyway...so I have a jar for them - probably about $2 face in Canadian cents in there now.

Anybody have an answer for this?? I once heard there's a strong doubled die to look for on the 1967 centennial cent. I've never seen an image, so I'm not completely sure they even exist. I've watched for them, and have closely inspected the couple dozen I've received in change through rolls, but haven't ever seen one. I bought a BU roll of them once and studied them closely to no avail. So...are they really out there??

I can remember a time where the Canadian dollar was as low as 70 cents US...a Canadian could make some money traveling around buying rolls at banks and culling out US cents. For every $70 US they collect in cents at $70 Canadian, they could get $100 Canadian back. A $30 Canadian profit. Of course this doesn't include time and gas, etc. But in this day and time with the US dollar tanking hard, the exchange is just about even - 98.5 US cents to the Canadian dollar.

I have always considered Canadian cents in my rolls to be a complete loss, because I have to pull them out. The counting machine at my bank is smart enough to eject them, and when you spend them singly around here people notice them and won't take them. Anyway, it's technically illegal to spend them here anyway...so I have a jar for them - probably about $2 face in Canadian cents in there now.

Anybody have an answer for this?? I once heard there's a strong doubled die to look for on the 1967 centennial cent. I've never seen an image, so I'm not completely sure they even exist. I've watched for them, and have closely inspected the couple dozen I've received in change through rolls, but haven't ever seen one. I bought a BU roll of them once and studied them closely to no avail. So...are they really out there??

I've heard of that also but never seen one, there are a few die varieties noted in the back of the Charlton that I have (2005 edition) however that isn't one of them. I don't have a 2008, and it may be listed in there, Topher or ccg might know.

I've heard of that also but never seen one, there are a few die varieties noted in the back of the Charlton that I have (2005 edition) however that isn't one of them. I don't have a 2008, and it may be listed in there, Topher or ccg might know.

Chuck, I haven't gotten that far into varieties on Canadian cents yet. I'm still waiting for the 5th edition of "The Book of Canadian Coins and the Values" to come out before I do. It's about as far into the topic as any has ever gotten. And my 2008 Charlton is on the way. I'm still managing to get by on my 2003 Haxby for now. If you've got any 1965 or 1985 cents then you can look for the varieties there. 3 of the 4 varieties of 1965 are fairly common, but the 1985 pointed 5 is pretty rare. I've only found 2 in about 2 years of searching, and oddly enough they came about 3 weeks apart! I've got a few tubes of 1967 cents set aside, I'll have to dig them out and compare them and see if anything interesting comes out of it.

Haven't heard anything about a 67 DD.

Speaking of the 1985 PT5, they used to be quite scarce. Then one time at a show, someone showed up with a mint box of them (I think a box is $25 face), so now there's lots of certified MS pieces floating around. Still relatively scarce, though.

Haven't heard anything about a 67 DD.

Speaking of the 1985 PT5, they used to be quite scarce. Then one time at a show, someone showed up with a mint box of them (I think a box is $25 face), so now there's lots of certified MS pieces floating around. Still relatively scarce, though.

I just saved them all until I got my 10x loupe, then sat down one day and went through them all. When I did that, the one that was a pointed 5 jumped out at me as different, although I did do a back-and-forth a few times just to be sure. Both of mine are circulated so not worth much, but I'll hang onto them anyway. I need to get a better setup for looking at close-ups of coins. My eyes go buggy after a few minutes of looking through the loupe.

Archived