CoinPeople.com

1973 d Lincoln Cent

corkykile

Is this anything like what Dustin was describing about a coin his little sister gave to him?

I found this today and thought I would get it onboard to get some opinions about it.

My experience with coins is continuing to grow, so I don't always know what the difference is between errors and just plain old mistakes. On this coin I noticed that the raised surface somewhat corresponds with the left side of Lincoln's jacket on the obverse. Now, is this reverse version caused by an extra heavy strike on the obverse that causes the metal to be raised up, or is it just extra metal flow from the die? I have a second coin from the same year and mintmark that shows a similar anomaly which is weaker.

Corky

Thanks Ye Lost One.

Now we can get it categorized and put way in the back of the collection.

I do find a lot of these type of anomalies on coins and haven't saved many. Oh well.

It is great to have experienced coin people to help us sort out all these fun things.

Thanks bunches,

Corky

Is this anything like what Dustin was describing about a coin his little sister gave to him?

I found this today and thought I would get it onboard to get some opinions about it.

My experience with coins is continuing to grow, so I don't always know what the difference is between errors and just plain old mistakes. On this coin I noticed that the raised surface somewhat corresponds with the left side of Lincoln's jacket on the obverse. Now, is this reverse version caused by an extra heavy strike on the obverse that causes the metal to be raised up, or is it just extra metal flow from the die? I have a second coin from the same year and mintmark that shows a similar anomaly which is weaker.

Corky

Nice find Corky.! Its not real commen to find a '73 in that condition, let alone a nice clash like that one.. :ninja:

Thanks Cherrypicker.

It is one of hundreds of coins I have been going through that I got on ebay in a 'lot' sale.

I think it is fun to go through coins for such different things.

I have a bit of a problem though, my main goal is to find the best uncirculated pennies for my album, which trickle down to the three albums I am preparing for my grandkids.

There is a conflict in searching for both perfection and anomalies... :ninja:

Corky

Archived