CoinPeople.com

Ghosting(?) on a Kopek of Paul

Bill Snyder

This 1798-EM Paul kopek has a depressed area behind the "1" (reverse) in the general shape of the "Crown" on the obverse. Is this ghosting common?

Hi Bill. I see what you're talking about on this particular Denga, so your picture posting is fine!

I wasn't aware of ghosting as a common feature but will take a look at other images and coins in my collection. The 1798EM Denga is one of the more common coins of Paul so there should be plenty of chances to see another example.

( http://www.russiannumismaticsociety.org/Fr...mpossible-I.pdf )

Steve

This 1798-EM Paul kopek has a depressed area behind the "1" (reverse) in the general shape of the "Crown" on the obverse. Is this ghosting common?

(My excuse for trying try my hand at posting pictures)!

As a thought it might be the case that the dies clashed and the reverse die was

lapped (ground down) to remove most of the clash marks.

RWJ

Ghosting or Die Clash. I see now that it could be either.

My first thought was that I was looking at a Die Clash, but I dismissed that possibilty because no details of the crown, which are strong on the other side, showed. I had not thought of the Die being lapped after being damaged!

Denga, denga, denga . . . . . . . . (Is my face Red)! :ninja:

Do you how many people who were born here and lived here all their lives believe that 1/100th of a dollar is a British coin (the penny)? Even the dictionary agrees with them on that point.

American Heritage Dictionary -

pen·ny (pěn'ē) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. pen·nies

1. In the United States and Canada, the coin that is worth one cent.

Do you how many people who were born here and lived here all their lives believe that 1/100th of a dollar is a British coin (the penny)? Even the dictionary agrees with them on that point.

American Heritage Dictionary -

pen·ny (pěn'ē) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. pen·nies

1. In the United States and Canada, the coin that is worth one cent.

The US Govt mint also agrees; they tell the story on their website as to why the 1 cent coin became, and still is, referred to as a penny.

I think you're talking about two different things here...the coin name (penny, nickel, dime) and it's value (1 cent, 5 cents, 10 cents).

Steve

There is one wierd Paul I denga that I believe is likely to be overstruck on an earlier example of Elizabeth II denga. The only basis of why I think so is because it does have a crown and left part of the wrath viewable, else I would have thought that it would be a rotated double strike. If I remember right, the crown started perhaps at about 10 oclock on the reverse.

Unfortunately the coin is not in my collection at the moment - I used a scanner and it didn't come up too well :ninja:

901693.jpg

Archived