CoinPeople.com

Anyone at the ANA?

jlueke

I'm here in Milwaukee and there isn't too much material to buy.

A few things I might try to bargain on Saturday evening or Sunday.

So I'm more in chatter mode, if any of you are around let me know and I'll track you down :ninja:

Jorg, I will take your word for it that there is not much good there. We have similar collecting interests and I wouldn't want to waste gas etc driving to Wisconsin. :ninja:

Well I did find not one but two Scipio bronzes today so that used up my budget pretty quickly. I did also get a good deal on a pretty nice 33 Nummi which Pegasi has had all year. Acually they've had two and the price on this one was quite nice now. So now my Alexandrian Byzantine collection is neearing practical completion. So the Scipio's are for my next endevor, bronze coinage of the second punic war. I've been reading Livy and it was either this or all the Sicilian related coinage of the same war. While Sicily made beautiful coins some still get quite pricey. Tomorrow I can get my exhibit score sheet but I've already started planning for the next set of upgrades. The nice thing is that not only do the exhibits focus one's attention but each ttime you learn more.

Pegasi Num does have a bad habit of monopolizing my attentions at coin shows. Of course, Eldridge is one of those very rare dealers who will sit and talk to you, show you dozens of coins, and not get sided tracked by a greasy coin show sandwich, or side conversations etc. :ninja:

When you get back, we expect images of the ancients in our little corner of CP.

I usually don't like those larger coin shows. Just wish it wasn't in conflict with the ones here in Illinois. I stick to ours. Free parking, free admittance, friendlier dealers, much better prices. What I like about a local show is you get to know most of the dealers and can actually order certain coins. At a show like that ANA in Milwaukee, no one knows you and that is how they usually treat you.

I usually don't like those larger coin shows. Just wish it wasn't in conflict with the ones here in Illinois. I stick to ours. Free parking, free admittance, friendlier dealers, much better prices. What I like about a local show is you get to know most of the dealers and can actually order certain coins. At a show like that ANA in Milwaukee, no one knows you and that is how they usually treat you.

There's quite a few dealers that recognize me and there's probably one or two new ones at each show. Not to mention new collectors and other officials. Local shows are fine but for me they lack the material I need and national or regional shows are the best place to get what I collect.

Local shows to me are for fun finds, things I wasn't really looking for but enjoyable anyhow. I think the last Saint I bought at a local show was an opportunistic buy that I had certified and then resold. The last big show I attended was the Portland ANA in 2004 and at that show I filled three holes in my Saint set and could have filled a lot more if it wasn't for my budget! I thought about going to Milwaukee, but my budget is low right now and I'd hate to be looking at all the coins I couldn't buy!

So much depends on where you are I guess. Some of our local shows are about 80 to 100 dealers. Some would rather be here than at the big shows. A few proved that when they showed up at the Countryside, Illinois show Sunday. A few dealers said they left the ANA show to come here since they have steady customers here and they were not doing so great up there in Wisconsin. If you get to know dealers that travel around you can sometimes place orders for cetain coins with them. I know a few dealers that have been looking for a certain coin for me for almost a year. Two of them were at the Countryside show and had finally found what I wanted and for a really decent price. I'd rather have them do the searching than me. Next month the Countryside, Il show will be one of those 3 day big ones. Not as big as the ones at the Rosemont, Il Convention Center but still fairly large.

I like the free parking, free entrances, tables full of free magazines like Coin Wold, Dealers that will look for coin for you, place coins on hold for you. So far I've never seen a large coin show with prices that were not inflated.

So much depends on where you are I guess. Some of our local shows are about 80 to 100 dealers. Some would rather be here than at the big shows. A few proved that when they showed up at the Countryside, Illinois show Sunday. A few dealers said they left the ANA show to come here since they have steady customers here and they were not doing so great up there in Wisconsin. If you get to know dealers that travel around you can sometimes place orders for cetain coins with them. I know a few dealers that have been looking for a certain coin for me for almost a year. Two of them were at the Countryside show and had finally found what I wanted and for a really decent price. I'd rather have them do the searching than me. Next month the Countryside, Il show will be one of those 3 day big ones. Not as big as the ones at the Rosemont, Il Convention Center but still fairly large.

I like the free parking, free entrances, tables full of free magazines like Coin Wold, Dealers that will look for coin for you, place coins on hold for you. So far I've never seen a large coin show with prices that were not inflated.

I'm up in Evanston during the year. I'd love to know when there is a show in Rosemont or Countryside (doesnt look too far away).

I'm up in Evanston during the year. I'd love to know when there is a show in Rosemont or Countryside (doesnt look too far away).

Evanston HUH? Well there are also coin shows on the third Sunday of every month, all year long in Itasca. Straight up Irving Park Road. About 15 miles or so I guess for you. Ten miles for me. Starts at 9AM but people always there at 8:30AM. Once in Itasca go straight past the main town area, RR commuter station on the right. Continue up Irving Park for a mile or so, up over a bridge and on the left is a Holiday Hotel. Coin show is there. Free parking, free entrance, expensive food, nice dealers. Best deals are usually with a guy in the center with numerous tables named Robert. Usually has his kids with him as helpers.

Countryside show coming up next month is a rather big one for 3 days. Usually that one has well over a hundred dealers. Easiest way for me to get there is all the way South on Manhiem Road, changes name to LaGrange Road, about 6600 hundred South it meets Joliet Road, go West about 500 feet. Large black buildinds on left. Second large one is where the coin shows are held second Sunday of every month. Free admitance, free parking, really lousy food and even worse coffee.

If you can make it I'll see you at Itasca next Sunday. Oh yeah, you buy the coffee.

Evanston HUH? Well there are also coin shows on the third Sunday of every month, all year long in Itasca. Straight up Irving Park Road. About 15 miles or so I guess for you. Ten miles for me. Starts at 9AM but people always there at 8:30AM. Once in Itasca go straight past the main town area, RR commuter station on the right. Continue up Irving Park for a mile or so, up over a bridge and on the left is a Holiday Hotel. Coin show is there. Free parking, free entrance, expensive food, nice dealers. Best deals are usually with a guy in the center with numerous tables named Robert. Usually has his kids with him as helpers.

Countryside show coming up next month is a rather big one for 3 days. Usually that one has well over a hundred dealers. Easiest way for me to get there is all the way South on Manhiem Road, changes name to LaGrange Road, about 6600 hundred South it meets Joliet Road, go West about 500 feet. Large black buildinds on left. Second large one is where the coin shows are held second Sunday of every month. Free admitance, free parking, really lousy food and even worse coffee.

If you can make it I'll see you at Itasca next Sunday. Oh yeah, you buy the coffee.

Oh man, sounds good but I wont be back in the area til Mid september. I'll definitely have to keep in touch with regards to the show schedules. Any websites for me to keep track of?

I'll need to have some shows this year because I wont be able to make it to the Baltimore show which is usually my only source for additions :x

Oh man, sounds good but I wont be back in the area til Mid september. I'll definitely have to keep in touch with regards to the show schedules. Any websites for me to keep track of?

I'll need to have some shows this year because I wont be able to make it to the Baltimore show which is usually my only source for additions :x

There is a coin show every first Sunday of every Month at Lemont, Il., at Countryside the second Sunday of every Month. There is a coin show on every 3rd Sunday of every Month at Itasca. Just go to Google and type in Illinois Coin Shows. When they have those other shows at the Rosemont, Illinois Convention Center or the Hotel across the street, never can remember the name of that place, they are usually advertised all over the place. Anytime you need instructions on how to get to any from where your at, let me know. Rosemont is about 3 or 4 miles for me.

Sounds like your going to miss the next one at Countryside on the second weekend in September. That 3 day one is usually really great.

I still like Itasca the best.

Archived