CoinPeople.com

world coins for the rest of us

slowly but surely

I have been having a blast working on this set, so I thought I'd share the idea with my CPeeps. I got the idea from this site:

http://typesets.wikidot.com/start

I pretty much exclusively collect US coins. I like structure and felt that if I started in on world coins I could end up with a hodgepodge of random coins. So this set has been a great way to get to see coins from all over the world.

The United Nations Set:

The idea is to collect one coin from each of the 192 UN member states. Whether you're a fan of the UN or not, it still provides a great framework for coin collecting. I am trying to get a coin from the year each country was admitted to the UN. So far it's been very doable, with most coins in the $1-3 range. I expect I'll have to abandon the year of admittance goal at some point as for many countries, the year they joined was a year of transition, bloody or not, and they weren't really making coins.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I've made an excel spreadsheet for the set. If you want a copy just PM me your email address.

Enjoy!

Great idea SBS, and it does get the old blood pumping with that large of an area to collect from. Like you said, there are going to be a few which never minted a coin, while there are some more that have other countries mint the coins for them. There are private minters who make this into a profession supplying coinage to small countries.

Thanks GX! That actually would be great, I don't have my Aussie coin yet. You joined the UN on Nov. 1, 1945, so any 1945 coin would be great. This is a pretty big set so I'm trying to do it on the cheap, any circulated '45 will do. Let me know if you have something lying around you could part with!

Roaddevil: if you happen to read this I'm missing Bahrain too. 1971. I don't know if shipping between there and the US is too crazy expensive, but let me know if you're interested and I could help fill in some holes in your US coin collection.

And last but not least Ken:

Great site! I'd been meaning to post a thanks on there for you. Anyone out there interested in getting started in typesets, should go and check it out. I can't wait to see if more people share their interesting ideas for unique type sets.

Any other CPs out there from the various countries of the globe be sure and contact me if you want to help me finish this set. I'm always happy to trade or paypal. I'm doing a trip to Europe soon, from Holland through Prague and back, so I hope to take care of a lot of European coinage then, but anyone should hit me up if they might have something for the set!

u inspired me :D!!!! atlast some1 brought a nice idea into world coin collecting!!!! ;) but i hate u >_> u made me look through 2 full shoe boxes of model united nations papers xD okok not ur fault but i have no printer that works :/ (tnx to my bro using all the ink an then not gettin me new catridges >_> grrrrr) anyway found my list of un members an when they joined the un ;) (with lil info eg:- belarus "on 19 sept 1991 byelorussia informed the un that it had changed its name to belarus" an etc which will also help :ninja:;) ) anyway :D tnx again :D an ken cool site ;)

Thanks everyone, I'm currently working on a new world coin type set but the theme is on the secret side as it's a surprise presentation for my coin club here in CT. and I don't want to let the cat out of the bag.

When I'm done there will be pics and I'll share with everyone here.

Archived