CoinPeople.com

5 Rouble 1841

Cheburgen

That sounds like the price a few years ago, when Russian coins were less costly (and so was gold bullion). $325 sounds dirt cheap now.

Beleive it or not, 5 Rouble 1841 and 1842 in NGC slabs MS64 purchased a week ago from american dealer for $325 each. I still do not beleive myself and thought it was some kind of scam, but I got them today in mail :ninja:

Beleive it or not, 5 Rouble 1841 and 1842 in NGC slabs MS64 purchased a week ago from american dealer for $325 each. I still do not beleive myself and thought it was some kind of scam, but I got them today in mail :ninja:

That is a very good buy. ;) Deals like that are not easy to find these days. ;)

As they say...when two people argue, one is a fool and another one is a bastard :ninja:

same here - the dealers just had no idea what those coins cost (they are fools) and you knew but did not let them know (sorry, you're bastard ;)

As they say...when two people argue, one is a fool and another one is a bastard ;)

same here - the dealers just had no idea what those coins cost (they are fools) and you knew but did not let them know (sorry, you're bastard :D

You're just jealous like the rest of us. :ninja:

Congratulations Cheburgen, ;) That's really a great buy ;)

(You wouldn't, by any chance, want to share the name of the dealer would you? ;) Just kidding!!)

But seriously, it's nice to hear that in today's depressing market it is still possible to get a great deal. I am really very happy for you.

As they say...when two people argue, one is a fool and another one is a bastard ;)

same here - the dealers just had no idea what those coins cost (they are fools) and you knew but did not let them know (sorry, you're bastard ;)

It's probably a very safe bet that the dealer wasn't selling at a loss.

And if the dealer is satisfied with his profit margin when selling at $325, then why is it the buyer's obligation to suggest that he should increase that price?

The dealer is the numismatic professional. As such, it is the dealer's responsibility to know his market. It is not the collector's responsibility to educate him.

Want to have some fun with a dealer? Ask him the price of a coin and when he tells you, look at him with a shocked expression, say "You're kidding!" and immediately pull out your wallet. The look on his face will be priceless. (If you think the price is fair, you can actually complete the transaction.) ;):ninja:

Yeah, I'm the bastard. I should say to the guy who is dealing with coins for 30 years that price for the coin is at least $1000 and I'll buy it for $1000. ;) The only thing is strange that I did not see in my life any coin dealer (I'm not a dealer myself) who knows a real price for the coin and suggested to sell it to me for the half price. All I see that dealers are buying the coins in different places and selling them for the price 2-3 times higher of the original price. That's odd. They should say to me, look, I bought this coin for $200 and I'll sell it to you for $100. :ninja:

(You wouldn't, by any chance, want to share the name of the dealer would you? :ninja: Just kidding!!)

He had only 5 gold russian coins. I bought 2 and the rest is 3 5 Rouble MS66 1902 and 1903. He was selling them for $115. Now I see he is selling them for $130 which is already in the range of the current market price. The rest, he has, a lot of american coins and he knows the price for them since he wrote couple of price guide books for american coins.

Yes I saw it, but was thinking that $2200 price was high for ms62.

And since it sold out that fast for $1500 then I can guess that MS64 will worth not less than $2250

Since 1842 date not realy easy to find in that grade.

You can compare statistics in here:

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/poplookup...+Matching+Coins

Considering the amount of coins graded for both years I think 1842 MS64 is close to 2K. 1841 MS64 perhaps 1K maybe a little less.

You can compare statistics in here:

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/poplookup...+Matching+Coins

Considering the amount of coins graded for both years I think 1842 MS64 is close to 2K. 1841 MS64 perhaps 1K maybe a little less.

yes, I know about this, 1841 date most common for XIX c. coz was found in the banks for last years...

1842 not really rare date, but if to compair with 1841 is not really easy to find in really gem grades.

probably 1842 was found in banks too, but not that much quantity as 1841.

But anyway MS64 is MS64 for any date, so it should be on top.

I whould say for 1842 in MS64 price will be still around $2200

I will pay $2500 for this grade. ;)

Thank you to both Cheburgen and GHV for your replies. ;)

GHV, I am intrigued by your comment about these coins being found in banks in recent years. Judging by the NGC census data, I thought that there must have been a small hoard of these appear on the market, but had no idea of the origin.

Do you know in which countries these banks were located? Was it in Russia, or some other place?

After gold ownership became legal once again in the US in the late 1970s, many US gold coins suddenly appeared that had been kept in the vaults of Swiss banks for half a century.

I'm wondering if a similar phenomenon was at work here. :ninja:

Thanks for any light you can shed on this matter. ;)

Archived