CoinPeople.com

Your grading habits

Burks

I was going through my Whitman checklist and noticing my grading habits.

Strictly grading - Mercury Dimes, Morgan Dollars, Lincoln Cents (wheats)

Loosely grading - Franklin Half Dollars, Peace Dollars, Jefferson Nickels

Which series do you seem to strictly grade or loosely grade? I try my best to stay consistent but it's hard. Mercs I'm probably the toughest on.

My solution is I generally don't assign grades to coins in albums, that way whatever I feel when I look at them is what I grade them, sort of a sliding scale. I have never really graded series by single grade points however, so even with my sliding scale they are usually MS-60, or MS-63 or MS-65, or G, VG, F, VF, XF, AU, no nitpicking for me!

I was going through my Whitman checklist and noticing my grading habits.

Strictly grading - Mercury Dimes, Morgan Dollars, Lincoln Cents (wheats)

Loosely grading - Franklin Half Dollars, Peace Dollars, Jefferson Nickels

Which series do you seem to strictly grade or loosely grade? I try my best to stay consistent but it's hard. Mercs I'm probably the toughest on.

Well, are the toughly graded series liked more than the other ones by you? Maybe you're extra critical on the ones you love. Or is it because those designs have better markers and design elements for consistent grading across grades? i.e. bands, coarse hair, wheat ears, etc

Whatever your bent, I strongly recommend being aware of the current "market grading". Doesn't mean you have to agree...

The way some coins are coming out of slab factories, the market grading must change on a weekly if not daily basis. Coin goes in one week it's a 64, crack it out and the next week it's a 66. :ninja:

I'm talking major TPG here, not SGS and so on.

HAHAH! Man, I love how people talk about these guys, seriously I had a nice chuckle. I was at a market this past weekend, and a dealer had some "non major TPG" (guess who, rofl) coins graded ms-70, I busted up in front of the guy, I couldn't help it, haha....man. He got all mad and didn't want to say anything else to me, which was fine because he was asking 2-3X book prices for those overgraded scraps. Which reminds me, the best one was the 1964 ms-70 quarter.....not from a SMS either, haha.

Okay, back to topic.

I grade everything about the same, but if I grade anything hard, it would have to be barber and seated liberty coinage. I am really bad about them. As for loose grading, I would say any draped bust/bust coins, due to so many strike problems, and walking liberty halves....which I am not very good at grading.

Most of the time Vfox I just pass right over dealers who stock nothing but those slabs. If they are foolish enough to believe the grades, I don't want to be foolish and waste my time. Been there, done that, got nothing (too darn overpriced!).

There is one dealer, who must be in or around Ohio, that carries nothing but ACG graded coins. Asking prices are very similar if not more than leading TPG's. I just smile and keep on walking.

I never or hardly ever worry about grades of coins. I simply go by which is better. I have numerous Whitman Albums of coins, 96 at last count. Each denomination has a number on the cover, #1, #2, etc. The best coins go in #1, then #2, etc. If I feel I need to improve a coin in a set I just put it on a sheet of paper for the next coin show. I make that list with approximate prices based on several sources and at coin shows I look for such coins and if I don't find any, maybe the next show. I'm no good at grading so for me it's poor, not bad, OK, better, much better, even better, really nice and great.

Grading... I use the guides in the Red Book.

But, when I'm going through the till I notice the shiniest coins first and from there usually look at wear on hair or feathers, and from there decide which would be most likely to replace something I already have in my folders.

I did that until I got too picky for album coins....although I have picked a 2007-P lincoln out of change, from a fresh roll because my dealer won't carry them because they are not worth the shipping he'd pay. And just the other day a series 2006 $1 note for my currency set. So I guess I'm running in circles with that comment, lol. That's how I started collecting coins for my albums though, just like you.

Since I don't know "crap" about grading... I would say I loosely grade everything or leave it up to Art ;)

Is "crap" a swear word :ninja:;)

I think it's a technical term... ;)

Personally since my stuff falls into 1789-1815 (usually) I tend to be a lot more forgiving on grades. In most cases I think it's amazing that a coin has even survived 200 years, much less sport proof-like surfaces.

Archived