CoinPeople.com

Russia II (Thomas Hoiland)

BKB

Rarenum, do you happen to have any idea who did such overstriking as I don't have any idea if Iran has any mint as well as how such coins got to Iran.

As well as, was this done in a broad scale (I'm doubtful, just like the 1795MM overstruck over Wallachia coins)

Would be very great if you can pull out that document :ninja: I'll have to order those books online as well as consider buying up all the RNS journals - you just don't find Russian numismatics literature too easily in Australia ;)

It takes time to pull out the documents(i have construction in the house),but i will try in couple weeks.

It is good idea , a lot usefull information you will find in RNS and I will try to find other books on internet and will send you the links.

Rarenum, do you happen to have any idea who did such overstriking as I don't have any idea if Iran has any mint as well as how such coins got to Iran.

They probably got there through Georgia. Georgia apparently traditionally had strong Persian influences. I am not expert in Persian metrology, but my understanding is that the exchange value went like this:

1 Georgian silver abaz = 20 Russian kopecks = 200 Persian dinars.

I'm not sure where the Persian "falus" fits in here, being unfamiliar with Islamic coins.

They probably got there through Georgia. Georgia apparently traditionally had strong Persian influences. I am not expert in Persian metrology, but my understanding is that the exchange value went like this:

Correct, you can find also overstrikes and coins with countermarks listed in the book "Coins of Georgia" Author Pahomov.

Archived