CoinPeople.com

What coin is this Ruble.I just got it.

I am told St.Petersburg mint,

references are Davenport 1683, Bitkin 176, and Krause Manual C # 67.2.

This is a Saint Petersburg mint rouble and the die cutter is Yakov Ivanov thats I and the R on the reverse. This is the second rarest St petersburg mint rouble. Most of this type was H and K, cut by NAzar Kutuzov.

Help me with a picture for this board.

Or e-mail me and i will send a scan for your viewing.

I am really excited because this is my first Ruble and want to know what you folks think.

I think i figured out the attachment feature.This should be interesting.

What is the value of this coin in $USD?

Thanks in advance

1763St_Petersburg.jpg

Can't just tell from a tiny picture of the reverse and it does look cleaned at first glance.

You can upload high quality jpgs up to 1mb at http://www.imageshack.us

All you need to do is to insert a code like this:

[img=http://www.yourlink.com/image.jpg]

Registration is completely free.

Welcome to coinpeople by the way :ninja:

Can't just tell from a tiny picture of the reverse and it does look cleaned at first glance.

Will try link,thanks

I am told St.Petersburg mint,

references are Davenport 1683, Bitkin 176, and Krause Manual C # 67.2.

This is a Saint Petersburg mint rouble and the die cutter is Yakov Ivanov thats I and the R on the reverse. This is the second rarest St petersburg mint rouble. Most of this type was H and K, cut by NAzar Kutuzov.

Help me with a picture for this board.

Or e-mail me and i will send a scan for your viewing.

I am really excited because this is my first Ruble and want to know what you folks think.

I think i figured out the attachment feature.This should be interesting.

What is the value of this coin in $USD?

Thanks in advance

You may want to post both sides of the coin.

However, 1765 SPB-ЯI is a common coin. SPB stopped making SPB-NK in 1763. As to the value, it all depends on the condition, which is impossible to judge from this foto.

I uploaded both sides and even did the slide show.

Where do i insert this code?

Can i use the imageshack on another site?

That is a cool service and it's free.Thanks much.

RUBLE SLIDE SHOW IS DEFINATELY THE ONE THAT WORKS!

THAT IS A 3 not a 5

please look closely.

I really only know what i was told.

Want a third party non biased opinion.

The fella that told me about the coin did not sell it to me and is trusted by me.

Thanks for taking the time here.

Thanks for the welcome as well.

It is a 1763

Severin lists 2 varieties of 1763-СПБ-ЯІ rouble:

Sev-1916 "mmk apart"

and

Sev-1917 "mmk close".

Severin rates both varieties of 1763-СПБ-ЯІ rouble as "rare". However, neither Bitkin nor Uzdenikov gives a rarity rating (which implies that the coin is considered "common").

Severin lists 2 varieties of 1763-СПБ-ЯІ rouble:

Sev-1916 "mmk apart"

and

Sev-1917 "mmk close".

Severin rates both varieties of 1763-СПБ-ЯІ rouble as "rare". However, neither Bitkin nor Uzdenikov gives a rarity rating (which implies that the coin is considered "common").

FOLKS:

This is how it was listed.

Рубль 1763 года.

Непрочекан правой нижней части орла (хвост и держава).

Russia, 1 Rouble, year 1763.

Weakly struck right lower part of the eagle.

So who to believe? SEVERIN or BITKIN and UZDENIKOV?

Value range? AU55 MS possibly?

FOLKS:

Рубль 1763 года.

thanks grivna :ninja:

Seems like you have some difficulty in posting the images Stanley. Also, the images are not large enough to make any decent analysis :ninja: Prices do highly vary if it's cleaned or not.

I assume that you are using a scanner. Please try to increase the dpi (dots per inch) and that should enlarge the image and show more details.

Let's try it again ;)

Once you upload your picture, you should be getting to a scene that is similar to this:

demo1up3.jpg

Now, click on the "i" button (infomation) and you should see this:

demo2ru6.jpg

And lastly, right click the first link that you see "forums" and copy the link

demo3bu9.jpg

Which hopefully you should get something like this:

planchetek2.jpg

Hope this can help you

Seems like you have some difficulty in posting the images Stanley. Also, the images are not large enough to make any decent analysis :ninja: Prices do highly vary if it's cleaned or not.

I assume that you are using a scanner. Please try to increase the dpi (dots per inch) and that should enlarge the image and show more details.

Let's try it again ;)

Once you upload your picture, you should be getting to a scene that is similar to this:

demo1up3.jpg

Now, click on the "i" button (infomation) and you should see this:

demo2ru6.jpg

And lastly, right click the first link that you see "forums" and copy the link

demo3bu9.jpg

Which hopefully you should get something like this:

planchetek2.jpg

Hope this can help you

Yes it will help me ..and my scanner is 200DPI..It is a low end scanner.

FOLKS:

Рубль 1763 года.

I am more inclined to go with Uzdenikov & Bitkin than Severin.

Severin was published in 1965 in Switzerland.

Bitkin and Uzdenikov are more recent (2000 & 1992), published in Kiev and Moscow and presumably have access to primary sources not as easily available in 1965 to Severin.

I am more inclined to go with Uzdenikov & Bitkin than Severin.

Severin was published in 1965 in Switzerland.

Bitkin and Uzdenikov are more recent (2000 & 1992), published in Kiev and Moscow and presumably have access to primary sources not as easily available in 1965 to Severin.

Agree 100%. I do not know why Severin decided to call those coins "rare." These coins (Both 1763 and 1765) are listed without any rarity rating by GM and Ilyin. Petrov lists them at 2r.50k. each, which is the lowest value for rubles of those years.

Now, the fun part. The portrait side of this rouble does not match any die of 1763 or 1765 SPB-TI-RI that I was able to find in the past 30 min. I would carefully check this coin before buying it. There are stamped fakes of great quality.

Agree 100%. I do not know why Severin decided to call those coins "rare." These coins (Both 1763 and 1765) are listed without any rarity rating by GM and Ilyin. Petrov lists them at 2r.50k. each, which is the lowest value for rubles of those years.

I don't know how Severin reached this conclusion. Maybe it was based on what was available to him on the market or in private/museum collections at the time.

I have noticed that rarity ratings given by Western sources sometimes differ from those given by authors based in Russia.

For example, gold coins are sometimes listed as being of greater rarity by post-1917 Russian authors than by authors outside Russia, while the opposite tends to be true of copper coins.

I don't know why this is the case, but I have a theory.

Many good Russian coins ended up in the West following the chaos and upheaval in Russia following WWI, as expatriate Russian collectors fled the country. Under such emergency conditions, it seems reasonable that those collectors might take rare/high value precious metal coins with them, rather than heavier and less intrinsically valuable copper coins.

This would result in the precious metal coins becoming more "common" outside Russia (and more "rare" inside Russia), with the opposite result for base metal coins, and might explain these discrepancies in the numismatic literature.

Now, the fun part. The portrait side of this rouble does not match any die of 1763 or 1765 SPB-TI-RI that I was able to find in the past 30 min. I would carefully check this coin before buying it. There are stamped fakes of great quality.

In my opinion, the images are of too low quality to reach any firm conclusion and the zooming in makes it difficult for me to note die characteristics. I agree about the need to watch for counterfeits, especially if buying from online auctions.

For the past several years I have maintained a database of illustrations for certain series of Russian coins.

I am in the process of re-ordering some of these but the roubles for 1757–1796 are accessible. Approximately

2,750 different silver roubles have been recorded for Catherine II and the following shows the relative rarity:

1762 NK – 100

1763 NK – 36

1763 YaI – 108

1764 YaI – 126

1764 SA – 118

1765 YaI – 135

1765 SA – 36

Others (for comparison)

1762 MMD – 40

1763 MMD – 11

1764 MMD – 31

1765 MMD – 17

1774 SPB FL – 245

1784 MM – 7

RWJ

In my opinion, the images are of too low quality to reach any firm conclusion and the zooming in makes it difficult for me to note die characteristics. I agree about the need to watch for counterfeits, especially if buying from online auctions.

Look at the position of the cross on the crown and the legend ending pretty far from the bust. I cannot find this die anywhere. Coupled with the alleged AU55 or Unc condition (cannot confirm due to the quality of pictures) it raises doubt in my mind. But, I am by no means certain that this is a fake. Need to examine the coin itself, including its weight and its edge. Better pictures would also help.

Archived