CoinPeople.com

Singapore MAS Issues $5 Polymer Notes

see323

MAS Issues $5 Polymer Notes

Singapore, 16 May 2007...The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) will issue new $5 polymer notes from 18 May 2007. This is the third denomination in the Portrait Series to be converted from paper into polymer. The $5 polymer notes will circulate alongside the $5 paper notes, both of which will remain legal tender.

2. As with the $2 and $10 polymer notes, MAS has retained the portrait series design for the $5 polymer notes as it is familiar to the public. The $5 polymer and paper notes have the following similarities:

• Portrait of Singapore’s first President, the late Encik Yusof bin Ishak, on the front, and images of the Garden City theme at the back.

• Same colour (predominantly green).

• Same size (133 mm x 66 mm).

3. The $5 polymer notes also include security features unique to polymer technology which are similarly found in $2 and $10 polymer notes. They are:

• Two see-through windows – one on the top-left hand side, and the other at the bottom-right corner.

• A stylised gold Singapore Lion symbol with a hidden image, beside the top-left hand window. An image of the Singapore Arms will appear at varying angles.

• The security thread in the shape of the Singapore island.

Please see the Annex for further details.

4. The $5 polymer notes will be available at banks. MAS has been working closely with relevant banks, transport companies and major machine operators to have the Cash Deposit Machines, MRT General Ticketing Machines and other note-accepting machines recalibrated to accept the new $5 polymer notes, based on their respective machine calibration plans.

5. Mrs Foo-Yap Siew Hong, Assistant Managing Director said, "Polymer notes are cleaner and last longer than paper notes. MAS received favourable feedback from the public, banks and retailers on the $10 and $2 polymer notes introduced earlier. As such, we decided to proceed with issuing $5 polymer notes."

http://www.mas.gov.sg/news_room/press_rele...ymer_Notes.html

:ninja:

Thanks for the report See :ninja: Would have been nice to see a pic of it but I notice they kind of left that bit out of the story LOL ;)

;)

Thanks for the report See :ninja: Would have been nice to see a pic of it but I notice they kind of left that bit out of the story LOL ;)

;)

Here are the scans provided by MAS. They are not very clear. I think the reason is quite obvious.

http://www.mas.gov.sg/resource/news_room/p...mer%20Notes.pdf

;)

:ninja: appreciated, I kind of like the revese LOl might get one just for that (thinking of it I dont have a polymer yet) LOL

;)

The Polymer $5 has similiar design to the current paper $5. If I remember correctly, the back design is the famous tree from the Singapore Botanical Garden. Generation of Singaporean have their photographs taken with this unique looking tree. I remember when I was young, I have a photo with this tree as a backdrop with my family.

Currently, the Singapore Portrait series have already had 3 polymers. They are $10, $2 and now $5. The rest of the denominations have yet to be announced such as $50, $100, $1000 and $10,000. I believe Singapore will go fully polymer for this portrait series as polymer are three to four times more lasting than paper ones.

;)

Archived