CoinPeople.com

Rouble 1915

janneen

Hello everyone!

I just received my copy of R.W Julians book on russian silver coins. What a great book!

Some much varieties to collect....o) One question arised though:

Is the mintage figure of 1915 rouble really only 600 pcs? This coin was offered for me the other day for about $400 in XF condition (my own assesment).

Janne

Hello everyone!

I just received my copy of R.W Julians book on russian silver coins. What a great book!

Some much varieties to collect....o) One question arised though:

Is the mintage figure of 1915 rouble really only 600 pcs? This coin was offered for me the other day for about $400 in XF condition (my own assesment).

Janne

Probably many more than that were struck -- more were struck in 1927 from original dies ordered by the Soviet Philatelic Agency from the mint, according to V.V. Kazakov. It is impossible to distinguish these novodels from the originals. 1915 seems to be more common than either 1914 or 1913 (the regular type, not the Romanov tricentenary commemorative rouble).

At the bottom of page 19 and continuing on to page 20 in R.W. Julian's book, there is also an explanation of how these roubles were also struck in quantity for circulation in Siberia in 1921.

At the bottom of page 19 and continuing on to page 20 in R.W. Julian's book, there is also an explanation of how these roubles were also struck in quantity for circulation in Siberia in 1921.

It must be an interesting story, can you explain?

The story is very simple. Since people in the regions far from Moscow like Siberia or Dalniy Vostok did not trust to Soviet money at the beginning, it was decided to mint (like it was with 10 rouble 1911) silver roubles from the period of Nickolas II. These roubles were sent to these regions for goverment needs.

Well, I'd rather not quote copyrighted material on a public forum without permission -- especially when the author of such material is also a frequent visitor here! :ninja:

After receiving a private message from RW Julian, he allows me to quote from his book (on page 20):

"In early 1922 the Far Eastern Republic (FER) issued a report, in answer to a questionaire from the United States Bureau of the Mint, which stated that 6,712 roubles worth of silver half roubles and roubles had been struck at "home mints" during 1921. Because the FER had no mint, it is clear that the Soviets had struck several thousand roubles dated 1915 for them. It is the only logical explanation of this 'rare' rouble, according to mint reports, being available in reasonable quantities."

Now I am wondering which year(s) of half roubles were struck in 1921? :ninja:

Archived