CoinPeople.com

NT or AT??

16d

Which is more likely??  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more likely??

• Paper-fold toning
    • Flame-thrower toning

I voted for the honest paper toning, but I would not pay for that, so putting my money where my mouth is, I have nothing to say.

I have to ask -- when I saw the topic, I thought, "Windows NT or IBM-PC/AT? What kind of choice is that? The AT was way better!" but then why post a picture of a red Morgan dollar? After a few clicks back and forth, the light went on and I understood: Natural Toning or Artificial Toning. My immediate reaction was "What's the difference?"

I mean that.

Sure, I know. On the one hand, the coin sat in a paper roll in a vault for 100 years and came out like that and otherwise, someone achieved this artistry last week in a couple of hours. But so what?

You can tell an added Mint mark. You can tell a cleaned coin. You can tell an overgraded coin. In every case, the way to tell is to compare the suspect coin to a genuine coin.

Toning, however, is toning.

There is no standard against which to measure the "originality."

OK. I have a silver-dollar sized French 5 Franc silver coin from 1830-something and I got it cheap because it was harshly cleaned. I have done "nothing" to it, except to put it in the top pocket of a suit coat hanging in my closet. (When I wear the suit, I take the coin out and put it in a different suit.) That was three years ago. Artificial toning? Natural toning? How can you tell? Color? Hue? Value? My motives or intentions?

At a coin show, I was working the table and a guy brought up a small box of Mercury Dimes and other 1940s coins, all golden brown and golden yellow and yellow brown. "They were my aunt's," he said. "She was a smoker," I replied. Attractive toning? Maybe in the first instant to anyone who does not know why they look like that. Once you know why they are golden, they stop being so attractive and become candidates for the Jeweluster.

But, are they not "naturally" toned by the same standard as the Morgan dollar left in a paper roll for 100 years?

Guest Stujoe

Although I would not bet anything of substantial value on it and am certainly not an expert in any way shape or form on toning, I went with NT - end roll toning. But, as Michael alluded to above...is it from 100 years ago or 100 hours ago, I would not venture even a guess.

Looks natural to me. Some of the old albums could do that sort of thing to a reverse and the end of a roll could do it. I'm more partial to the shades of blue I see on the Baltic states silver that was bagged for a long time. I have a 1925 2 Lati with some nice dark blue in the recesses of the reverse.

I have to agree with mmarotta, what difference does it make? BTW does leaving a silver coin in a suit pocket coause toning?

There are a lot of things that could and would make a Silver coin tone. Figure that the suit has been washed at some point so it's been exposed to chemicals.....if a coin is left in a pocket and is exposed to those chemicals for a long enough period of time ....then throw into the mix heat...whether it be body heat or the a person wearing a black suit in the mid day sun...............and you have all of the elements needed to tone a coin!!!

Short answer...Yes it could!!!

Here is a coin I picked up at a show this year for $40.........it is 100% NT all day long, but it doesn't have typicall toning so others passed on the coin. The coin is worth a minimum of $200-$250 so it was a real bargain!!!!

1883O6.JPG

If you know what you are looking for then you have nothing to fear from raw color coins......the problem is you have to look at a lot of coins to know what to look for :ninja:

I knew someone who would put coins on a 150 degree asphalt roof for a month, and get beautiful colors. If there are no diagnostics as far as time, humidity, or where stored, this would fall into/ or nearly fall into the catagory of NT. No bashin' here krypto, your coins are some of the most beautifful I've ever seen. How do YOU determine the time a "tone" has been on a piece? If someone were to inadvertantly dip the NT, would it lose all it's color? And, the gems that you have that aren't slabbed, to you further expose them in hopes of nicer pieces? I'm asking this because I'm an all over the place collector, and would like to start a serious toner album.

I agree with Michael -- toning is toning -- if the coin appeals to you then so be it -- the non-existent standard is simply some subjective opinion rendered most oftenly by the coin's owner -- I have numerous BU rolls of coins where the end coin is 'white' on the 'coin' side and peculiarly toned on the 'air/paper' side...