CoinPeople.com

Notgeld discussion (was State of Texas Civil War Treasury Warrant's?)

AnemicOak

Anyone have a good reference site about these, or know anything about them?

My Great Great Grandfather served with the 36th TX Cavalry during the war & I thought it might be interesting to pick up a few of these. I know there were civil & military varieties, but that's about it. No idea what they go for or any ways to tell real from fake.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

I buy notgeld and that is always my fear when buying something like that. With notgeld...they are pretty cheap even when they are real so you dont lose a lot of money. With real expensive paper money...you are taking a chance...

All I can say is that the ebay seller I linked you to, I have heard good things...that is I have heard he is very honest and knowledgable and specialized in paper note from the time period...crutchfield...goes by crutch2...

I agree with Drusus. Crutchfield is honest, reliable, and very knowledgeable in this arena. I purchased all of my Republic of Texas notes from him. Here's his website, he has quite a few warrants listed with retail prices :

http://www.crutchwilliams.com/RepublicOfTexas.htm

On a side note, I'm with the 36th Combat Aviation Brigade, 36th Infantry Division...the Army's "Texas Division". I'm starting to think Texas really likes that number. :ninja:

I buy notgeld and that is always my fear when buying something like that. With notgeld...they are pretty cheap even when they are real so you dont lose a lot of money.

I just bought a lot of 25 of these & another lot of 100. They are very interesting (& these were quite cheap). Is there a reference out there that's considered "the" reference? I think I found something else to collect. :ninja:

Is this book good???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Notgeld-Money-Book-191...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone know if the city of Dillenburg issued any notgeld? I'd especially be interested in that.

I buy notgeld and that is always my fear when buying something like that. With notgeld...they are pretty cheap even when they are real so you dont lose a lot of money. With real expensive paper money...you are taking a chance...

All I can say is that the ebay seller I linked you to, I have heard good things...that is I have heard he is very honest and knowledgable and specialized in paper note from the time period...crutchfield...goes by crutch2...

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but what is a notgeld?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but what is a notgeld?

Well, the ones I was refering to (not 100% sure Drusus meant the same ones) were money printed/minted by various German Cities (Stadt) during the inflation of the post-WW1 era. They are very unique & there are tons of designs. There are also notgeld from Austria & from what I can find a few other places too.

I know nothing of this dealer, but he pic on his site shows a bunch of different notes. There were also coins.

http://www.pomexport.com/N-CollectGermanNo...rmanNotgeld.htm

Brian, thats the book I have...but buy it at amzon...you can get a nice good used copt for 12-14 dollars...the price for that book it way over what you have to pay.

Johnny, Notgeld are hyper inflationary emergency money (large bulk of it WWI WWII German paper money but there is france, japan, etc…)...and it is also coins...iften minted in Iron, Porcelain, and the like. They are usually printed and minted by townships and city (Stadt). They are wonderfully creative, funny, sometimes scary (anti-Semitic) themes that give you a look into the society of the time. I havent uploaded any of my paper notgeld but I have a few coin notgeld...I am going to branch my site off to devote a section just to it since I have been buying them up like crazy.

stadtduren.jpg

Iron coin from Stadt Duren, my favorite of all I have seen so far

sachsen.jpg

Porcelain Coin from Saxony

10000mark.jpg

Very large coin with a large nenomination…I have 10000 but some go as high as a billion.

when I get home I might upload a few of my hi res bills, some of them are just plain wonderful works of art, some are funny...I have some that are runs of bills that deal with daily life, beer, middle ages, etc...

Brian, thats the book I have...but buy it at amzon...you can get a nice good used copt for 12-14 dollars...the price for that book it way over what you have to pay.

Johnny, Notgeld are hyper inflationary emergency money (large bulk of it WWI WWII German paper money but there is france, japan, etc…)...and it is also coins...iften minted in Iron, Porcelain, and the like. They are usually printed and minted by townships and city (Stadt). They are wonderfully creative, funny, sometimes scary (anti-Semitic) themes that give you a look into the society of the time. I havent uploaded any of my paper notgeld but I have a few coin notgeld...I am going to branch my site off to devote a section just to it since I have been buying them up like crazy.

stadtduren.jpg

Iron coin from Stadt Duren, my favorite of all I have seen so far

sachsen.jpg

Porcelain Coin from Saxony

10000mark.jpg

Very large coin with a large nenomination…I have 10000 but some go as high as a billion.

when I get home I might upload a few of my hi res bills, some of them are just plain wonderful works of art, some are funny...I have some that are runs of bills that deal with daily life, beer, middle ages, etc...

Thanks for the info ;) I'm going to have a look out for some of these Notgeld :ninja:

Oh, I love that one. I'll have to keep a look out for an example.

Thanks for the book info too. I figured that auction was high, but it was the first thing I found.

Oohh.. Looks like a hobo nickel.

BTW...I went ahead and uploaded a few of the notgeld bills I have...I have stacks of them now...I think I am drawn to numismatic nitches like Conder Tokens and Notgeld...I even started collecting Hell Notes :ninja:

altona50pb.jpg

arnstadt01.jpg

stadtlippfpringe.jpg

stadtribnitz.jpg

schalkau03.jpg

hamburgkultursport.jpg

Some of these come in sets...like the altona and schalkau...the altona ones are real cool...hell, they are all real cool.

Cool stuff Drusus. I've got a ton of notes on the way. Can't wait 'til they get here. I also picked up two coins...

duren25-vi.jpg

pc1LG-vi.jpg

I've got a total of 132 of the notes coming. Don't know yet what they all are as they were mostly random lots, but here's one I got off ebay that I really like (I'd like to get this whole series)...

dc5f_1-vi.jpg

e17a_1-vi.jpg

Very nice, the Stadt Duren iron coin you have there is cool...Just as a note, Duren was situated near an iron mine which is why a lot of the notgeld from there is iron (I assume) and that one shows a miner.

That Gilt porceline coin from saxony is very nice as well...I am looking to get a complete set from both those.

The knight theme is a popular one in notgeld and that one is a very fine example.

This one is one I am looking to get my hands on...its one of the finest looking notgeld coins I have seen (its aluminum)...just amazing in its design IMO.

fec0_1_b.JPG

Here are a few more in the Schalkau Series that I have completed that deals with knights.

schalkau06.jpg

schalkau04.jpg

schalkau01.jpg

I bought a few lots in a similar manner (bulk) getting all kinds of great notes...many I just havent gotten around to scanning. Now I am just trying to concentrate on coins and finishing sets that I started in the lots I bought. I am also looking to buy a notgeld album (contemporary albums made for notgeld as people seem to have started collecting them as they came out) to better store them.

This one is one I am looking to get my hands on...its one of the finest looking notgeld coins I have seen (its aluminum)...just amazing in its design IMO.

fec0_1_b.JPG

Wonderful. I'm going to have to watch for one of those.

I am also looking to buy a notgeld album (contemporary albums made for notgeld as people seem to have started collecting them as they came out) to better store them.

Got any links? I looked around, but didn't see any specific albums. I was figuring I'd get some Ultra-Pro pages & go from there, but if there's a specific album it'd be something else to consider.

Here's two sets I just purchased off of eBay, once I receive them I'll post a better picture :ninja:

Very nice Johnny. There are so many wonderful & colorful designs out there.

There are all kinds of notgeld albums and they come up here and there...a few sites aften sell them, Ijust havent taken the time to find one and buy it...

here is a notgeld I have that even shows an album on it:

notgeld1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.de/Notgeld-Album-leer-35x2...9QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.at/Notgeld-Album-aus-Priva...2QQcmdZViewItem

^^ There are a few that have already sold...

http://www.mehlis.eu/auktionskataloge/45-a...objekte/0005045

847f_12.JPG

I dont see a lot for sale and often times they are filled already with notgeld so they are pretty expensive.

Archived