CoinPeople.com

Coins in aluminum - what countries issued them for circulation?

gxseries

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if any of the 1, 2, and 5 fen pieces can be found in unc. With years of heavy

searching I've found only about 25 pieces and most of them are later date.

I was never able to get a contact in China but with almost every other country in that

part of the world having a contact was no real advantage. The coins aren't available and

probably couldn't be found even if they were since there are few shops or dealers.

It's surprising any of these would circulate with their low face value.

Here are examples of the fen you mention. I just received them from a friend who brought them back for me from a recent trip to China. She said she had to go out of her way to get them from vendors as they are not popular.

china1fen2006do0.jpg

china2fen1989qg0.jpg

china5fen1988lv1.jpg

Here are examples of the fen you mention. I just received them from a friend who brought them back for me from a recent trip to China. She said she had to go out of her way to get them from vendors as they are not popular.

Nice coins.

These have been made since the mid-'50's and the early ones

may not exist in unc to any significant degree. Indeed, with the

way aluminum wears they may be getting almost impossible in

circulation as well. This would be quite remarkable given the

huge mintages.

Nice example - still suprising how these coins are still struck in 2006. Remember 1 Chinese Yuan is just 13 US cents and 1 fen is a mere 0.13 US cents! What exactly can you do with 1/10 of a cent?! :ninja:

And this thread does remind me, I will have to upload the rest of the aluminum coins that Banivechi and see323 have sent me. Sorry, a bit bogged down with a fair amount of stuffs at the moment.

Nice example - still suprising how these coins are still struck in 2006. Remember 1 Chinese Yuan is just 13 US cents and 1 fen is a mere 0.13 US cents! What exactly can you do with 1/10 of a cent?! :ninja:

Indeed.

And it's probably further indication of just how undervalued the Yuan really is. I doubt

these coins get a lot of widespread circulation but I'll bet they are made at a profit unlike

our cent and nickel.

Archived