CoinPeople.com

Coins in aluminum - what countries issued them for circulation?

gxseries

One of my favorite aluminum coins from Africa:

The Belgian Congo gained its independence in 1960 and was racked by civil war for the next five years. This aluminum 10 Franc coin was the first coin of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but it rarely circulated due to continuing economic and political unrest, inflation, etc. The legend reads, Justice, Peace, Labor. Eventually, most were melted. I guess this would be considered scarce, but its not an expensive piece. It is a good example of being more than a case of bad money driving out the good, in this case bad economic times drove out aluminum coins!

I've been keeping an eye out for this very coin, and yours is a lovely example. Your comments explain why they've been so hard to track down.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of my favorite aluminum coins from Africa:

The Belgian Congo gained its independence in 1960 and was racked by civil war for the next five years. This aluminum 10 Franc coin was the first coin of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but it rarely circulated due to continuing economic and political unrest, inflation, etc. The legend reads, Justice, Peace, Labor. Eventually, most were melted. I guess this would be considered scarce, but its not an expensive piece. It is a good example of being more than a case of bad money driving out the good, in this case bad economic times drove out aluminum coins!

This is one of my favorites as well but I like a lot of the African coins.

Burundi also has a 1 franc in aluminium.

Cyprus has a 1 Mil - KM 38

Denmark has the 2 and 5 Ore - KM 833 & 834

Luxemburg has a 25 centimes - KM 45a

Malta has the 2, 3 & 5 Mils - KM 5, 6 & 7

Nicaragua has the 5, 10 and 25 Centavos (some FAO editions)

Rwanda has the 1/2, 1 & 2 Francs - KM 8, 9 & 10

Turkey has some too :ninja:

That's all I can come up with.

What country was the first to use aluminium? It seems to be post-WW2, or am I way off?

Regards,

Jos

A few more than i can remember (other than the already mentioned)...:

Portugal

Brazil

Cape Verde

Mozambique

Angola

Guinea-Bissau

St. Thomas & Prince

Italy

Spain

Egypt

Argelia

Morocco

Tunisia

Botswana

Ethiopia

Yemen

Afghanistan

India

Nepal

Myanmar

Cambodia

Vietnam (and French Indochina)

Philippines

Argentina

Uruguay

Surinam

Cuba

Costa Rica

Belize

Jose ;)

I guess Argelia will be Algeria :ninja:

Regards,

Jos

What country was the first to use aluminium? It seems to be post-WW2, or am I way off?

Don't know which country, but aluminum medals have been around since the late 19th century. Various countries used aluminum coins during WW1, so roughly 100 years ago. But I think most alu coins are more recent issues ...

Christian

That IS a good question. I don't know! US did have some trial coins minted in aluminium although I am not too sure if other world minted aluminium. Now let's not forget that some 300 years ago, aluminum was so expensive that aluminium jewellery at one stage is more rare than gold jewellery! (it maybe still is "rarer"! :ninja: )

The only thing I know is that Japan minted aluminum coins during WWII so that might push the date earlier.

Btw, Banivechi has sent me a batch of super hot aluminium coins and I will be posting when I have the time. Interestingly in two of the Romanian coins, they are SUPER THICK - over 4mm!!! ;)

Edit: Appearently Romania had it as early on 1921 (makes me wonder if anyone knows any coins minted any earlier in aluminum)

Must be because it's at the end of page 1 ;)

Bill nailed it down to "Nigeria and British West Africa 1907 1/10 penny"

Either because it was at the bottom of the page, or because it had no images. I'm not a bat! :ninja:

So this year could actually be the 100th aniversary of the first aluminum coin! Don't know of any 19c pieces. Medals and tokens, yes. Coins, ummm ...

Christian

Either because it was at the bottom of the page, or because it had no images. I'm not a bat! :ninja:

So this year could actually be the 100th aniversary of the first aluminum coin! Don't know of any 19c pieces. Medals and tokens, yes. Coins, ummm ...

Christian

There are pattern coins in the 19th century, but 1907 is the first circulating coin.

Virtually all French colonies issued aluminium pieces.

That reminds me. I've got a couple of coins from New Caledonia that were aluminum, from just after WWII, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure where I even managed to pick those up from. Now I've got to go dig them out and admire them again.

My oldest aluminum coin is a German one: 1 Pf. 1917. Then comes Romanian set 25 an 50 bani, after that is a Greek 10 Lepta 1922 and Bulgarian Lev 1925, Third Reich 50 Reichspfennig 1935 and 1940-44 - maybe a result of interdiction for Germany to refine Nickel in large quantities (?). After WWII aluminum will be the metal for cheap coins all over the world.

Here's another country for the list of those who have produced aluminum coins: Mexico. In this case, a 1914 1 Centavo piece from the State of Durango. This was during the Mexican Revolution.

I've had this in my collection for twenty years or so -- hadn't looked at it for quite some time, then saw this topic. I'd be interested in knowing more about this issue, e.g., was this the only year for this coin? Did any other Mexican state produce aluminum coins?

1914_Durango___1_Centavo___Aluminum.jpg

I'd be interested in knowing more about this issue, e.g., was this the only year for this coin? Did any other Mexican state produce aluminum coins?

According to my catalog, Durango only issued coins dated 1914. And no, I did not see any other aluminum pieces listed there; most are copper, silver and brass coins. Ah, wait ... Toluca 5 centavos "gray cardboard". :ninja:

Christian

Nobody seem to list down a 5 cents coin from Singapore. It is minted as a FAO coin in 1970s and circulated in Singapore. It feature a white promfret fish. That's the only aluminum coin that Singapore had minted.

Nobody seem to list down a 5 cents coin from Singapore. It is minted as a FAO coin in 1970s and circulated in Singapore. It feature a white promfret fish. That's the only aluminum coin that Singapore had minted.

Any pics, see?

See323, that is definately an interesting coin. I never saw it before. If I am not mistaken, coins around that time were minted in ni-cupro. Would you have any idea why is that particular coin only minted in aluminum, as well as in a 5 cent denomination? :ninja: Very unusual I must say. Thanks for your picture!

This is a 1971 coin minted under F.A.O ( Food Agriculture Organization ). I think during that time, Singapore participated in increasing food production and more food from the sea. The mintage is 3,049,000. It is larger than than the Singapore 10 cent coin. ;)

Archived