CoinPeople.com

Question on a 1978 Soviet Proof Set

jtryka

Hi everyone! As the resident coin nut at work, everyone comes to me with their coin questions. A coworker brought in a proof set and asked me if it was worth anything, unfortunately I know little if anything about foreign coins, so maybe one of you can help.

The set is in a hard plastic case, which fits in a cardboard sleeve and then into another cardboard box. The cardboard is a yellowish-brown. The plastic case contains 9 different coins, my guess on denominations would be 1-ruble, 50-kopek, 20-kopek, 15-kopek, 10-kopek, 5-kopek, 3-kopek, 2-kopek and 1-kopek. The set also has 2-medals, one which seems to depict the Leningrad mint, and the other simply says "set of coins 1978" on one side and I presume the same thing in Russian on the other side.

Can anyone tell me anything about them, or what they might be worth? Thanks!

Probably a good 20 dollars or so but it really depends of the level of tarnish on the coins. Even though they are mint sets, Leningrand mint is notoriously well known for not testing these packages or coins throughly or just simply bad packaging and a fair amount of them are tarnished in such mint sets! :ninja:

That said, it is not quite so unusual to find a stray Soviet finger print on them from the dyevushka that packaged them.

Archived