CoinPeople.com

Anyone collect the early Belgian Congo African banknotes ?

see323

In 2004, when I started my collection on world banknotes, I found the early African banknotes from Belgian Congo to be artistically attractive with heavy engraving. I especially like the one with 6 or 7 African natives standing and rowing their traditional boat against the background canopy of virgin forest. Unfortunately, so far, I was not able to find a good piece for my collection. It is relatively expensive especially the high grade ones. Maybe you can share your experiences on collecting these early Belgian Congo banknotes. It seem like there are quite a lot of collectors collecting these banknotes thereby raising the market values of these beautiful early notes. :ninja:

I would love to collect them, but to get them in decent condition would be very costly. I am finding that the african notes with French design influences from the 1940's through the 1970's are becoming more popular and are edging me out. Just last week I tried to bid on some notes and they were all over $150.00, with some into the 250+ range. These are notes that you could get even just a couple years ago for a fraction of the cost, though they were harder to find.

Belgian Congo notes are some of those that I find with hefty price tags too. And with good reason, while far from being rare or even scarce, they do have some of the best designs and vignettes from that era.

As we have all benefitted from the Internet for easier shopping, we will have to compete with everyone else - from the older collectors to those who are impulse buying a banknote because they happened upon it. I think that's why you still find people bidding on Zimbabwe Bearer Checks and Iraqi Dinars at exhorbant prices... But the Belgian Congo notes fall into a different category; I cannot remember them ever being less than expensive.

I would love to collect them, but to get them in decent condition would be very costly. I am finding that the african notes with French design influences from the 1940's through the 1970's are becoming more popular and are edging me out. Just last week I tried to bid on some notes and they were all over $150.00, with some into the 250+ range. These are notes that you could get even just a couple years ago for a fraction of the cost, though they were harder to find.

Belgian Congo notes are some of those that I find with hefty price tags too. And with good reason, while far from being rare or even scarce, they do have some of the best designs and vignettes from that era.

As we have all benefitted from the Internet for easier shopping, we will have to compete with everyone else - from the older collectors to those who are impulse buying a banknote because they happened upon it. I think that's why you still find people bidding on Zimbabwe Bearer Checks and Iraqi Dinars at exhorbant prices... But the Belgian Congo notes fall into a different category; I cannot remember them ever being less than expensive.

I fully agree with your observation and findings. Even some fine condition Belgian Congo notes are being snapped up at ridiculous prices. I usually stopped at the price that I wanted to pay. Most of the time, I will let it go off. I have seen in one auction, a nice specimen note went for US$400. Inclusive of commission, it will be even higher. Although I am willing to paying high prices for my world solid number banknotes but somehow I was quite reluntant to pay high prices for the Belgian Congo banknotes. After observing Belgian Congo banknotes ebay auction for the past 2 years plus, I find the prices are moving upward. I agree with you that they are not rare or scarce. But there are many of these low quality banknotes for sales. So far, I managed to acquire 3 pieces with AU to Uncirculated condition.

The most recent piece which I won from ebay auction is a 1943 5 Francs in choice uncirculated condition. I seldom see such nice original condition piece sold in ebay. On the obverse, it has a lady and a little child looking at something that look like a beehive or cone. On the reverse, an elephant and a hippo were featured. A relatively small note and I paid US$200 for it. I must have paid high for it after winning the auction. As the American seller ( I believe he is an elderly man ) do not sell anyone outside the shore of USA, I make some arrange to pay him by postal order sent by my American friend. My friend send an overnight courier package which contain the postal order to this seller. The seller told me that I must have paid a lot for the courier service. I told him that I only paid a few cents extra for the purchase of the postal order. My friend paid the rest. Gee...what a friend. Anyway, I thank my friend in some other way later.

Still I have yet to find a nice 6/7 natives rowing the boat piece for my collection. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
Will there be any pictures for us to see, see323? :ninja:

gxseries - I still do not have the scans for my own collection. Here is a scan of a Belgian Congo banknote which I always wanted. I am still waiting for a nice condition piece to appear and provided the price is within my reach.

fecb_1.jpg

f8bf_1_b.jpg

;)

My father collects Belgian Congo notes. I find them also beautiful, both in design and colour. It seems that there are quite a few in collection here in Sweden. I think that a lot of swedes has worked in belgian congo, and therefore the ambundance here. My father hopes now to win a 100F note 1952 in unc condition. If he wins I´ll post a photo of the note.

// Joakim

Will there be any pictures for us to see, see323? :ninja:

As promised, here is a photo taking using my Nikon DSLR. A bit rounded because of the lense. This 1943 5 Francs Belgian Congo piece was acquired for my collection in choice uncirculated condition at the end of last year from an American ebay seller whom never sold anything to an oversea buyer. It takes a bit of effort to pay him since he does not accept paypal due to high paypal fees.

19435FrancsBelgianCongo-Front800.jpg

19435FrancsBelgianCongo-Back800.jpg

c025.gif

Archived