CoinPeople.com

Gotta say AT on this one...

syzygy

Wow! How on earth did you do that?

Wow! How on earth did you do that?

It was actually very easy AF, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to post a 'recipe'. I'm also not too sure this coin would be confused by too many people as natural toning (whatever that means) but it is interesting and I often wondered how those wild reds could appear.

It's also kind of interesting, in my opinion, to try to articulate why one can tell this is AT avoiding using vague descriptors.

Very interesting,

I once tried to tone silver halfdollars using various means. Sticking them in a potato and puting them in the oven, covering it in vegitable oil and puting it in an oven, even covering it in motor oil and petrol and then puting the coin in a hot oven.

I never did recive a success, some did darken but it was obvious that they had been AT'ed. Your's came out nice though. Congrats!

Working with metals all the time, I can make a guess how you did it. (But I won't because just like you said, it wouldn't be wise to post a recipe for it) Honestly, I see coins with natural toning, and ones with AT, and pretty much, if it looks neat, I'll buy it. Sometimes I just don't care lol. If I think about it, I'll take some with me tomorrow and post the results of my method.

For the days I have been looking at this thread, I still don't think it looks NT at all. So posting a recipe would help some chump AT coins and fool others, but I think he wouldn't fool me. The scientist in me wants to know how you did this! :ninja:

Interestingly, I would just call the one on the right cleaned. Copper/bronze/brass that's been cleaned and toned afterwards in my experience sometimes turn weird reddish-purple hues.

I did some testing on a few red Unc 1959 lincolns, with some interesting results. And some even more interesting results with a new prezy dollar. Have a look.

The cents are in order from lightest to darkers, the darkest being slate gray.

4dmga3d.jpg

2w3st4j.jpg

4cks7kj.jpg

4dfl64z.jpg

34xro7r.jpg

2n6s09l.jpg

2ywtts0.jpg

34ex7pj.jpg

Do you think these look AT? I wouldn't know....well except the dollar lol. Then again, in 50 years, I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

The 1st 2nd and 4th cents I would reject right away from the pics, the other two I'd have to see in person.

Any grey/blackish looking copper I will usually consider to be damaged.

The 1st 2nd and 4th cents I would reject right away from the pics, the other two I'd have to see in person.

Any grey/blackish looking copper I will usually consider to be damaged.

I recognize the red on that Lincoln - and the Washbuck looks mighty weird :ninja:

The stuff I use will tone basically any metal. The cents took all but 15 seconds to tone, the prezy dollar took about 20 minutes because of the metal it's made of. I would say one of the easiest metals to tone is copper, then silver, then brass and whatever these new dollars are made of. (they tone about as fast as one another) The thing about the process I use is, it's completely natural. All it does is speed up the natural process of toning from the air, or whatever it's being held in. So I am always curious when people say these coins look AT, I suppose I'll have to post some toned coins I have, and some I make in a little while and see if anyone can tell the true difference. My guess is, no.

Vfox, remember copper is also in brass and silver is usually minted in a form of silver-copper alloy. Silver in pure form usually tarnishes to ugly black.

If you can tone iron, pure nickel or aluninum coins, now that's something I am VERY interested.

Next week when my break is over I will try to tone some other metals. I am not sure where to get pure nickel though. I know I can tone nickels, and nickel silver (or german silver as its sometimes called), but I've never tried the pure stuff. I might also try pewter and whatever else I have. But on a side note, I can tone fine silver, 0.999 pure to basically any color of the rainbow with little trouble. I'll post my results asap.

Archived