CoinPeople.com

Coin Tarnish Experiment

Drusus

okay...I got a token for a group called Nova Roma...I got them fresh off the mint and didnt like them, here it is:

novaroma.jpg

now here it is 3 weeks later after handling it everyday as a pocket coin with tone and I like it much more.

novaromatone.jpg

So I am doing it with a Pres Dollar...here is the before:

gwdollar.jpg

I will post it again in a week of circulation.

Nice experiment. From the pics, I'm not very impressed with the new coins. They remind me of the tokens Sunoco or Shell used to give away in the 70s.

When I get home I am going to post another pic...I dont think this one does it a lot of justice because of shadows...I just did a quick shot of it because I was in a hurry and didnt use good lighting and whatnot. it will be named the same so it will just replace this one :ninja:

Okay...got a bit better shot of it...its real reflective. I am carrying one around in my pocket for the next few weeks to see how it tones so I will post new pics again in a few weeks...I find a coin photographs better with a little toning.

gwdollar.jpg

gwdollardetail1.jpg

gwdollardetail2.jpg

at first I didnt like it much but now I think I am going to like them when they get tone...the portrait is very typical of GW, he wasnt a pretty man from the portraits I have seen and he had teeth problems which caused him to grimmace and not show teeth, gave him that odd mouth...the statue of liberty on the back is pretty nice as well...once the coin tones the detail will show better in a macro photo without the glare from the slightest illumination.

Well to each his own or as the saying goes "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". Myself, I like those coins as they were and not toned and now showing wear but that's me. Now what you could have done so not to include wear in your experiment is to just leave the coins in a kitchen invironment for a few months. On a window sill near a stove preferably. However, this only works well if someone is cooking there a lot. The fumes from cooking slowly will tone most coins over a period of time although how much cooking, the type of food prepared, the method of heat, etc. Other methods would be to leave the coin on an outdoor window ledge turning occationally. These methods would eventually work and no wear on the coins only toning. There are numerous other methods such as soaking in different solutions such as dish soaps, however, many dish soaps have different chemical forulae so the results would vary.

Archived