CoinPeople.com

1991 Bolshoi Theater Ballerina Proofs

HuliganRS

2 just ended on eBay and the price was a bit high... Why?

25 Rouble went for $554

50 Rouble went for $915

I know the mintages are reported to be 1,500 pieces each but it still seems high...

Is there that big of a market for Russian Gold bullion?

Rusty.

Actually, this doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. These prices are about twice the prices listed in my KM catalog from 2003, and prices for Russian coins in general have skyrocketed in the last couple of years. However, I don't collect these actively, so I can't offer any comparisons.

1991 is the only year that SOVIET gold ballerina were minted. I don't consider them as bullions due to low mintage, unlike the palladium ones. More interesting is the 14k gold unc ballerina that was that auctioned some time ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150079828805

Not common at all to find them in actual mintset. Two years ago, the 1991 gold proof coin set, similar to what you see in the above link except much beautiful, went for around 1,200 euros or so in the German ebay. Such mintbox are said to be less than 1200. I would be shocked if they actually went a lot lower than before.

I only managed to get this some time ago:

909697.jpg

901721.jpg

Soviet proof gold ballerina are just simply difficult to find. The last time I remember one seeing on auction is four months back and then few more months before. Now you know why buyers get hysterious when they see one.

1991 is the only year that SOVIET gold ballerina were minted. I don't consider them as bullions due to low mintage, unlike the palladium ones. More interesting is the 14k gold unc ballerina that was that auctioned some time ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150079828805

Not common at all to find them in actual mintset. Two years ago, the 1991 gold proof coin set, similar to what you see in the above link except much beautiful, went for around 1,200 euros or so in the German ebay. Such mintbox are said to be less than 1200. I would be shocked if they actually went a lot lower than before.

I only managed to get this some time ago:

909697.jpg

901721.jpg

Soviet proof gold ballerina are just simply difficult to find. The last time I remember one seeing on auction is four months back and then few more months before. Now you know why buyers get hysterious when they see one.

Hi People :ninja:

Yes this is Correct.

1991 PROOF Ballerina Set is Extremely Expencive.

I would say Most Expencive USSR Set. Only one that was minted under USSR...

I sold out one several months ago in Original Box (3 coins Set 25,50,100) for $3500 :-)

Today it worth probably more...

So price for 25 rubles 1991 in PROOF I would say not even close to price that should be.

About 1991 Ballerina Set which is 4 Brilliant Uncirculated coins, it's not really expencive and not hard to find.

today even 1993-1996 Russian Ballet Series getting more and more expencive!

Thanks,

Got it!

Thanks for the insight.

Rusty

Hello Again Dear Forum People ;)

Dear HuliganRS now you know that 1991 Proof Ballerina Coins 25,50,100 extremely rare (several days ago I saw that 100 rouble sold out for $1313

Please check this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

But again I think this price is still O.K. for this RARE date.

As I told you complectly Set selling out around $3500 or more :ninja:

So by my Opinion 25 rubles should worth 800-1000 (I could be wrong but Market shows up exectly this way)

Also I think 50 rubles proof 1991 could be easy sold over $1000

Nobody knows when we will see another 1991 year in Proof condition ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Appearently with the commemorative coins and certificates that I have seen, all of the 1991 commemorative precious metal coins are issued with the USSR coat of arms. Then in 1992, it was switched to the double headed eagle although I believe there were some controversies over using it as originally non-precious metal coins were issued with the Pokrovskiy Cathedral. (St. Basil's Cathedral) I do have a trial "gold" coin that was intended to be used that way.

That is an interesting observation - thanks for pointing out akdrv :ninja:

The "certificate of authenticity" still has the USSR coat of arms, while 1991 is past the USSR era. How long did they use the old style certificates?

Actually the USSR still very much existed until the 26th of December 1991, then it was officially disolved. When I was there in July and August of that year, the USSR was very much a country still ~ but the fissures were starting to appear.

• 4 months later...

Just an FYI:

Two more proofs went on eBay last night, a 25 & 50 Rouble proofs.

Prices were $500 amd $600 respectively.

Although this time it looks like I was the cause of the high prices because I was the only one to bid that high and some poor shmuck actually bid right above that.

I was actually relieved considering there was barely any interest in them other than the me and the guy whom placed some crazy bids before me.

Archived