CoinPeople.com

Where's George? Right here.

Dockwalliper

I'm going to see if I can't get my work to use them. The kids go nuts over half dollars, I wonder if they'll be interested in these.

PS>>> That's the way you get people into collecting, not by legislation intended to encourage collecting (even if it did work the last time...)

I had the opportunity to visit the production hall of the Philly Mint this week and saw the new dollars as they were being made. What a trip!

First, in reality they are very bright and shiny, much more than the Sacagaweas even though the metal is the same. The Prexie dollars go through an extra burnishing process with steel ball bearings and a chemical compound that makes them really bright.

Second, I have to say the portrait of GW is a lot nicer when you actually hold it in your hand. I got to meet the sculptors and see their full size plaster reliefs, and it really is good work. Don't let the jpegs fool you. Personally, I don't care for the lettering (hard to read in some cases) and the lack of a date on the face is odd, but I think people will get used to it.

Finally, the edge lettering is applied as a final step after the coins are struck. The struck coins are fed into the edge lettering machine randomly face-up or face-down, so I noticed that the lettering can be either right-side up (with George on top) or upside-down. I wonder if collectors will try to save one of each?

Mh

I see they are still selling rolls of $1's for $35 starting February 15th. You'd think with the extra effort made to ensure the coins would be more available at banks they would stop treating the releases like a novelty.

I see they are still selling rolls of $1's for $35 starting February 15th. You'd think with the extra effort made to ensure the coins would be more available at banks they would stop treating the releases like a novelty.

I asked the mint guys about this - they said the markup on the rolls is to cover shipping (that's in addition to the $4.95 handling fee). Seems like a lot but then again, they are kinda heavy... :ninja:

Finally, the edge lettering is applied as a final step after the coins are struck. The struck coins are fed into the edge lettering machine randomly face-up or face-down, so I noticed that the lettering can be either right-side up (with George on top) or upside-down. I wonder if collectors will try to save one of each?

Mh

WOW, the orientation of the edge lettering relative to obverse and reverse is NOT fixed?! Somehow, that really surprises me.

WOW, the orientation of the edge lettering relative to obverse and reverse is NOT fixed?! Somehow, that really surprises me.

According to the USAToday article last week (Wednesday, 2007-02-07), the USMint adds the edge lettering last, having the struck coins roll down a chute into a drum that incuses it. They can go down that chute either way.

How do they do it at the British Royal Mint (£1 and £2 coins) and with the various €2 coins?

:ninja:

Mike

So, anybody I've asked, "Hey, are you guys handing out the Presidential Dollars in change soon?" hasn't the slightest idea what I'm talking about. They haven't even been released yet and the program is already a dismal failure.

Maybe it'll be like the movie "Napoleon Dynamite" where only a few people know about it when it first comes out and then suddenly the rest of the population realizes the greatness of the movie and it is now released in theaters everywere and enjoys a huge cult following.

maybe...

How do they do it at the British Royal Mint (£1 and £2 coins) and with the various €2 coins?

With the €2 coins, it's basically the other way round (edge inscription first) but the effect is the same: a random combination.

According to the Schön catalog, there are two ways of making these "bicolor" coins. If the mint has a machine for duplex coins, the blanks get their milled/lettered edges first, then the central part is punched out. After that, the ring and the pill are combined, and then the whole thing is struck on the obverse and reverse.

A mint that buys the bicolor planchets (ie. does not make them itself) makes the edge lettering first, then the planchet is struck. In both cases you end up with roughly 50 percent of each "lettering orientation" type.

Some countries "avoided" this issue by just putting 2s on the edge, with alternating orientation. Looks like this:

z_fr.gif

Of course that won't work with actual text. :ninja:

Christian

Archived