CoinPeople.com

Largest Demonination Bill

Tegwin

Hungary issued a note in 1946 that was denominated as 1 milliarden B-Pengo. The B in B-Pengo stood for Billion. In European numbering systems, a milliard is equal to an American billion and a European billion is the equivalent of an American trillion. In other words, the Hungarian note was equal to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pengo.

HungaryP137-1milliardBpengo-1946_f-.jpg

You'd think the government would just start knocking off zero's and reestablish the benchmark.

They have to stabilise the economy before they do that. It is a lot easier said than done. Look how long Turkey went on with currency denominated in millions before they lopped off zeroes just last year. You cannot introduce a new currency and not have a plan in place for stopping the inflation. Some Latin American nations go through paper money like TP though, money becomes worthless after only a couple of years, and the result is a continual cycle of instability that seemingly never ends. Brazil is a country that since the 1960's has gone through several currencies, Argentina and Chile have also. In a bad government situation, like what happened in these Latin countries, it was a way of wiping out government debt.

They have to stabilise the economy before they do that. It is a lot easier said than done. Look how long Turkey went on with currency denominated in millions before they lopped off zeroes just last year. You cannot introduce a new currency and not have a plan in place for stopping the inflation. Some Latin American nations go through paper money like TP though, money becomes worthless after only a couple of years, and the result is a continual cycle of instability that seemingly never ends. Brazil is a country that since the 1960's has gone through several currencies, Argentina and Chile have also. In a bad government situation, like what happened in these Latin countries, it was a way of wiping out government debt.

of course to all of that. I wish I someone at school could point me towards a course on national economic policies or whatnot.

Archived