CoinPeople.com

Copper Mining Through a Box of Cents

Scottishmoney

Yesterday at one of my banks I cleaned them out of $2 bills(16X) and a box of cents. The goal with the 50 rolls of cents is to find all the pre-1982 bronze coins which are worth 2X face melt value. I have been saving them in a 5 gallon jug and have approximately 7.000 of them now.

But I always find other stuff, but I was a bit apprehensive with these rolls, they were all hand rolled cents turned in by customers and not processed through a coin distributor like Brinks etc and mechanically rolled. So I wondered that I would find anything good. Curiously the bronze finds were about average, 25% of the coins were bronze. But I noticed fewer older Canadians, and far fewer San Francisco minted coins than usual.

But I still had some of the most exciting finds since I started this last summer...

Canadians

1963 X 3

1967 Centennial

USA

Dimes X 7, yes that is 70¢ worth of dimes ~ you won't find these in machine rolled coins.

Cents

1910 This bad boy was hiding in the very last roll I opened up. I always hope for 10 wheats in 50 rolls of coins, and I had 9 of them already. I have always had a minimum of 10 in my searches and I thought this time I am probably not going to achieve it. But this 96 yr old curmudgeon has a wicked sense of humour, hiding out in the very last roll of 50 rolls in a box. This is the oldest coin I have ever found in a roll.

1945 X 2

1946 X 2

1950-D X 2

1953-D

S - Mints

I was initially disappointed here until late in the search when a rather unusual S-mint made an unexpected appearance:

1970-S X 2

1972-S

And... 1981-S yes indeed, some little varmint freed Abe from the plastic prison and spent him in a gumball machine and he saw diligent service until he retired here yesterday. You can see just hints of the proof finish now.

I think after the first of the year, I may begin doing this same thing myself. Not that I am interested in collecting pennies, but hoarding the pre-1982 coppers does sound like a fun idea.

As for the Canadians, from my past times of actively collecting them, I have amassed about 5,000 or more of them. When did they change metal content?? Wasn't it not until the late '90s, or was there an earlier change before the "P" plated steel issues??

I've been doing the pre-1982 copper hoarding as well. Not hoping to get rich or anything but just to see how many I can collect. Probably close to 2000 or so now. I'd like to hit 10,000 by the end of 2007. Some day I'll weigh all those stupid 1982's. :ninja:

Good find on the 1910. How worn is it? You'd think after 96 years of circulation it would be nearly flat.

I think after the first of the year, I may begin doing this same thing myself. Not that I am interested in collecting pennies, but hoarding the pre-1982 coppers does sound like a fun idea.

As for the Canadians, from my past times of actively collecting them, I have amassed about 5,000 or more of them. When did they change metal content?? Wasn't it not until the late '90s, or was there an earlier change before the "P" plated steel issues??

They went to the 12 sided, but thin variety in 1982, and the copper plated zincs in 1993 or 1994. I save the pre 1992 Canadians for the cent pile, but only the pre 1964's for the coin collection. I have gotten some as early as 1938 or 1939 in the last few months. It is not uncommon to find George VI cents in circulation still.

Slow is not the word for it. The last 20 hours or so the Internet has been terrible. Every page is slow to load, some won't load at all and my AIM can't sign on. I get a server error message.

These days, the adware and spyware accumulations cause a lot of my trouble. I have to stop during the day sometimes and run the sweepers. It isn't just coing from internet sites, either. I installed the Kodak 'easy share' software from a cd bought online from the Kodak store and it installed an adware folder 85 times as part of its application.

My processing speed slowed to a crawl, which is what alerted me to the problem. Removing 85 copies of the same folder helped immensely in restoring my limping dialup connectivity to its usual snail's pace.

Archived