CoinPeople.com

Another insane bid

gxseries

it is rather strange. You cannot even tell what is in that lot. I should put together a couple of lots like that. I have stuff laying around since I was 12 years old :-). Where does one get a buyer like that guy on ebay?!

Did I miss anything unusual in here? :ninja:

Link

It will be interesting to see if this selller gets any bids. In the case of an Nicholas II 1899 rouble

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIAN-SILVER-ROUBLE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

he wants $200 plus $40 (!?!?!) shipping for a $10 or $15 coin. The prices and shipping on his other coins are equally bizarre. The coins can be returned but he does not refund shipping fees and there is a 10 percent "restocking" fee.

RWJ

Pricing of these items is very strange, indeed -- he also has a nice 1854-NI rouble opening at $200, which although it is very high for an opening bid, is a somewhat more realistic value for that coin. But then he also lists some 15 and 7-1/2 rouble gold coins (1897) starting at that same price or thereabouts, which is only around melt for 1/3 oz. gold.

Judging from the jewelry, etc. which is offered, the seller probably doesn't have a clue about coins nor about grading and might have just consulted some auction catalogs (e.g. New York Sale) and took the prices from that according to the date of the coin without regard for his own coins' conditions.

Archived