CoinPeople.com

Rarity or fake? 10 Zloty 1827 on eBay

kisenish

Hi guys,

Look at this coin:

http://cgi.ebay.de/RARITAT-RUSSLAND-POLEN-...1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think - will somebody be the lucky winner or a fooled one spent too much money?

If you ask me, I like the eagle side of the coin, but I don't like the portrait side - my intuition prevents me of buying it :ninja:

PS By the way, the seller did not respond to my questions regarding return policy.

Good question but I'm not too sure. I only have a Uzedenikov (embrassing story), but it seems to be similar.

Perhaps the cleaned surface is a bit alarming but I can't tell the differences at the moment.

What part of the portrait is disturbing you kisenish? It just might be the photography, bad angle, lighting etc.

Hi guys,

Look at this coin:

http://cgi.ebay.de/RARITAT-RUSSLAND-POLEN-...1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think - will somebody be the lucky winner or a fooled one spent too much money?

If you ask me, I like the eagle side of the coin, but I don't like the portrait side - my intuition prevents me of buying it :ninja:

PS By the way, the seller did not respond to my questions regarding return policy.

This is the same coin that appeared in Hess-Divo sale 300, of 2004. I do not have this catalogue, only the downloaded jpeg, and perhaps someone who does can give further details.

RWJ

Good question but I'm not too sure. I only have a Uzedenikov (embrassing story), but it seems to be similar.

Perhaps the cleaned surface is a bit alarming but I can't tell the differences at the moment.

What part of the portrait is disturbing you kisenish? It just might be the photography, bad angle, lighting etc.

What is disturbing me on this coin, is the cleaned area around the portrait whereas the space between the letters is dark.

Actually, my alertness is proportional to the coin value ;) it is usual, that is why e.g. in "Moneti i Medali" sales many valuable coins are being sold along with the expertise given by the head of the Numismatic Dept of the Historical State Museum in Moscow, Mr. Shiryakov. Considering a large number of high quality fakes on eBay, I would not feel well spending several thousand euros buying a coin from the guy I see for the first time on eBay. I asked the seller whether I could examine the coin, but he did not answer, and just looking at the picture - you never know what you really get :ninja:

...Interestingly, it started increasing after I posted this topic :ninja: ...

Quite likely a spurious correlation argument.

The price is not likely to go down. I could say the same about any random eBay auction...the price increased after I bought orange juice instead of milk last week ;)

Archived