CoinPeople.com

Were there any varities for the Gangut ruble?

gxseries

Here is a counterfeit coin that I bought because I was too dumb to figure out

901761.jpg

Shockingly, the mass of this coin was 20.0gram when I weight it last time (since I don't have with me at the moment)

Now notice at the reverse, the rider has his wing flarred upwards. However in Uzedenikov, it seems to be downwards, and most of the images that I have seen are in such location. (Perhaps only the counterfeited coins have it that way :ninja: )

Nevertheless, I have read that there are novodels of such rubles and at one stage Uzedenikov in his earlier books noted that there is no way that you can tell the differences. Can one tell the differences?

Nevertheless, I have read that there are novodels of such rubles and at one stage Uzedenikov in his earlier books noted that there is no way that you can tell the differences. Can one tell the differences?

There are enough differences in the obverse design that, given good pictures of genuine coins, it is possible to quickly see that this is one of the more common fakes. To me (entirely subjective criteria, of course) the genuine obverse shows a facial expression which is much more gentle or benign, looking slightly upwards, whereas the fake looks much angrier and is staring almost straight ahead.

As to novodels, etc. -- yes, there were some "official" restrikes made by the Soviet Philatelic Society in 1927 as well as some earlier novodels after most of the original coinage was melted down (there are only about 150 coins out of the original 30,000 left, according to Kazakov). The Kazakov catalog mentions three varieties, but only in these combinations:

1. Both obverse and reverse normal: = normal striking;

2. Obverse proof, reverse not: = novodel;

3. Obverse normal, reverse proof: = 1927 restrike.

This is all I know about the Gangut roubles, and I never bought one myself. I'll now let others take over where my very limited knowledge leaves off! :ninja:

Here is a counterfeit coin that I bought because I was too dumb to figure out

Shockingly, the mass of this coin was 20.0gram when I weight it last time (since I don't have with me at the moment)

Now notice at the reverse, the rider has his wing flarred upwards. However in Uzedenikov, it seems to be downwards, and most of the images that I have seen are in such location. (Perhaps only the counterfeited coins have it that way :ninja: )

The easiest way to detect this particular counterfeit is to look at the center tail feather on the eagle. On the counterfeit, which is seen relatively often on eBay, it points to the right of the letter A in MOHETA while on the genuine it points directly at the letter.

RWJ

Ah that sure is a quick one Julian :ninja:

Here is an image from Goldbergcoins:

http://www.goldbergcoins.net/catalogarchiv...04.shtml#050817

Just scroll down... ;)

Comparing those 2 images two other details (among others) stick out to me:

-the "hollow" of the arm is more sharp on the first image and softer on the second.

-the crest in the middle of the eagle differs by the shape of the sield; one being somewhat pointed while the other is very rounded, almost flat.

Archived