CoinPeople.com

Thailand 10 baht

Sir Sisu

The regular Tahi 10 baht issue (Y#227) is listed in my 2006 Krause as having been issued from BE2531(1988) to BE2539(1996). After that year it seems that commem version 10 baht coins were issued for many years. I have a regular issue with the year 2548(2005). Does anyone know whether Thailand has discontuned with the 10 baht commems or have they begun to reissue the regular version alongside the commems? I say reissue, because I assume the regualr issues have not been struck since 1996? I checked the Bank of Thailand pages but could find no info on coinage.

Heaven forbit....no. Unfortunately, I had to move back from Bangkok this past summer and just arrived here in Washington DC....work, work, work. However, I can tell you that they are cranking out those 10 baht commems faster than you can say sawasdee. The most recent ones that I have were produced in late Jun-early July 06 (Rama 5 150 year commem and Rama 9 60 years on the throne commem). I can't scan them in for you yet, since most of my household good haven't arrived on the slow boat yet. The bimetal 10 baht regular issue (Wat Arun--the temple of the dawn--on the reverse) remains unchanged except for the year. If you are interested, I can (eventually) scan the set in so you can see what all your missing.

Vaguely related side note: Doesn't Rahapaja make most of these anyway? I noticed an article about that in the 3-2006 issue of Moneta Finlandiae ...

Christian

Hmmm...I'm not familiar with "Rahapaja." The Royal Thai Mint is called "Rong-Grasap" and the Treasury Department is called "Krom-Tanarak." The mint designs and produces the coins. If you give me some more details on what you mean, I can probably answer your question.

Dave

Well, I do not understand Finnish and am not really good at guessing Swedish, so I don't know what the text http://www.rahapajamoneta.fi/fi/dokumentit...oneta3_2006.pdf actually says. Here is the Finnish version (page 10) ...

"Eurotilauksiakin enemmän tuotantokapasiteettiamme kuormittavat Aasian alueelle tehdyt suuret valmistussopimukset. Thaimaasta on saatu tilaukset sekä 10 bahtin että 1 bahtin kolikoista, joista jälkimmäisen suuruus on noin 700 miljoonaa kolikkoa."

... and here is a Swedish abstract (page 34):

"Präglingen av thailändska baht (700 miljoner mynt) fortsätter."

Hmmm, I think the Swedish sentence means that the Finnish mint continues making Thai baht coins, with a volume of 700 million coins. But the longer Finnish text ... Does anybody here understand that? :ninja:

Christian

Well, I do not understand Finnish and am not really good at guessing Swedish, so I don't know what the text http://www.rahapajamoneta.fi/fi/dokumentit...oneta3_2006.pdf actually says. Here is the Finnish version (page 10) ...

"Eurotilauksiakin enemmän tuotantokapasiteettiamme kuormittavat Aasian alueelle tehdyt suuret valmistussopimukset. Thaimaasta on saatu tilaukset sekä 10 bahtin että 1 bahtin kolikoista, joista jälkimmäisen suuruus on noin 700 miljoonaa kolikkoa."

... and here is a Swedish abstract (page 34):

"Präglingen av thailändska baht (700 miljoner mynt) fortsätter."

Hmmm, I think the Swedish sentence means that the Finnish mint continues making Thai baht coins, with a volume of 700 million coins. But the longer Finnish text ... Does anybody here understand that? :ninja:

Christian

That quote says that the production of coins for Asia places more pressure on Moneta's production capacity than do the euro related contracts. And that Moneta has received orders to produce 10 and 1 baht coins; the volumn of the latter to be approximately 700 million coins.

Hmmm...I'm not familiar with "Rahapaja." The Royal Thai Mint is called "Rong-Grasap" and the Treasury Department is called "Krom-Tanarak." The mint designs and produces the coins. If you give me some more details on what you mean, I can probably answer your question.

Dave

Well, the others were quicker than me. :lol: Rahapaja is the name of the "Mint of Finland".

What I am trying to figure out is whether any of the regular issue 10 baht coins were issued between 1996 and 2005. :ninja:

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Yes, there were regular issue 10 baht coins produced after 1996. As far as I can remember, there have been regular issues and commems most years. There is a lot of good info on the Department of the Treasury website....but it is all in Thai. Not much info in English. For instance the production in 2540 was 9,310,600, 2541--980,000. 2542--1,030,000. They don't have the figures for any of the coin denominations after that, but I think they were produced most years. The website is almost up-to-date on the commem issues. But, again, it is all in Thai. Here is a link in case you want to take a look:

http://www.treasury.go.th/coin/coininfo/index.php?CoinType=2

The third item down is the issues for the King's 60th year on the throne.

I had forgotton that there were some coins being made in Finland. They produce about a billion coins a year at the Royal Thai Mint, but I suppose that's just not enough.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Yes, there were regular issue 10 baht coins produced after 1996. As far as I can remember, there have been regular issues and commems most years. There is a lot of good info on the Department of the Treasury website....but it is all in Thai. Not much info in English. For instance the production in 2540 was 9,310,600, 2541--980,000. 2542--1,030,000. They don't have the figures for any of the coin denominations after that, but I think they were produced most years. The website is almost up-to-date on the commem issues. But, again, it is all in Thai. Here is a link in case you want to take a look:

http://www.treasury.go.th/coin/coininfo/index.php?CoinType=2

The third item down is the issues for the King's 60th year on the throne.

I had forgotton that there were some coins being made in Finland. They produce about a billion coins a year at the Royal Thai Mint, but I suppose that's just not enough.

I tried the link, but could not make much from it. My Swedish is a bit rusty. :ninja:

Are those annual mintage figures inclusive of both regular and commem issues?

These figures are for the regular issue only. In many years, the commems are issued in far greater numbers than the regular issues....especially if there is a significant event regarding the King. In 2542, the King had his 6 cycle birthday (72 yrs) and there were 6 million of those 10 baht commems produced. Plus, there were a few others made that year (in smaller quantity I'm sure, but they seem to be lacking data on some of them).

Dave

Archived