CoinPeople.com

1812 Proclamation in Cadiz of the Constitution, Spain

d'Essling 2414

916092.jpg

56mm Link

While 1812 is remembered for the Russian snows it was also a time of premature optimism. In Spain liberals proclaimed a Constitution in Ferdinand VII's name and issued this beautiful huge medal. The most recent sale of an example I could find was a bronze dore piece in the 1927 d'Essling catalog.

1812 Merchant's Medal, Russia

899259.jpg

28mm Link

I received a translation of this medal recently and promptly deleted it beyond retrieval. Some days my brain is just swiss cheese. It originally had a loop at the top and was issued in two classes to people who resisted the French invasion. Apparently about 40,000 were awarded which accounts for why they are relatively common. My correspondent said that another was issued 100 years later for descendents of the original recipients.

1812 Loge de l'ardente amitié de Rouen, France

Bramsen 1215

d'Essling 2295

Marvin XCIX

898246.jpg

33mm Link R4

An extremely rare Masonic medal. I recently saw one on eBay for the first time. If you click a second time on the hi-res photos you'll see the medal shot with different lighting (the only one like this on my site) that shows some of the toning better, though the first shows the color in hand better.

1812 Loge de la parfaite union, Valenciennes, France

Bramsen 1209

Marvin CCL

d'Essling 2359

898355.jpg

26mm Link

1812 Merchant's Medal, Russia

899259.jpg

28mm Link

I received a translation of this medal recently and promptly deleted it beyond retrieval. Some days my brain is just swiss cheese. It originally had a loop at the top and was issued in two classes to people who resistend the French invasion. Apparently about 40,000 were awarded which accounts for why they are relatively common. My correspondent said that another was issued 100 years later for descendents of the original recipients.

Elverno if you noticed, the translation is on this page:

Link

A similar legend but coin is in here:

17996mz.jpg

Translation:

On the reverse, shows an inscribed bible text, "НЕ НАМЪ, НЕ НАМЪ, А ИМЯМИ ТВОЕМУ" or read as “Nie nam, nie nam a imeni Tvoemu”, which is translated to “Not unto Us, Not unto Us, but in Thy Name”.

Nice medal by the way. Funny how the design is used later in the Borodin ruble.

1812 Battle of Madrid, Great Britain

BHM 739

Bramsen 1161

901794.jpg

15mm Link

Part of a set actually issued in 1815 commemorating British victories in the Wars.

Saw the update :lol:

Not to hijack this thread but here might be two more Russian coins that you want to add to your collection one day Elverno. They weren't minted in that year, but was commemorated for Napeolean's invasion event. Very pricey, but at least the pictures are free on the net :ninja:

http://molotok.ru/catalog/lot/12652762

http://www.moheta.de/muenzen-suche/russisc...-9010-910458301

1812 Victories in the Peninsular War, Great Britain

BHM 742

Bramsen 1177

d'Essling 1386

Eimer 243b

916282.jpg

28mm Link

916281.jpg

28mm Link

One of the most common medals of the Napoleonic era this also functioned as a 1/2 penny token. It was used as soldier's pay in both Spain and Canada.

1812 Lieut.-Gen. Sir Thomas Picton, Great Britain

BHM 730

Mudie XIX

Bramsen 2240

916305.jpg

41mm Link

A bronzed white metal example, for a medal this is a filler. Badajoz was one of the bloodiest assaults during a siege in the Peninsular War. When the British army rampaged afterwards Wellington was furious. Though it was common to let the victors run wild Wellington thought Picton had let it go on too long and hadn't kept his troops well enough in hand. Lord Wellington thought he was a bit of an idiot actually and when he later died on the battlefield of Waterloo there's no indication that Wellington was particularly upset.

A bronzed white metal example, for a medal this is a filler.

I assume the medal is available in higher quality and you see it as a filler because of the rim dings and somehwat rough texture? It seems to be impressive otherwise, but then I don't know what one can expect for this particular type.

I assume the medal is available in higher quality and you see it as a filler because of the rim dings and somehwat rough texture? It seems to be impressive otherwise, but then I don't know what one can expect for this particular type.

Exactly right. The Mudie series was superbly produced in 1820 and quite a few examples, relatively speaking, are available for collecting. I would estimate 200-400 survive of each of the 40 medals and most are in AUNC or UNC condition. This one is white metal, oddly bronzed. The white metal restrikes (from probably the early 1840s) are ironically more rare than originals as the demand really wasn't there and relatively few were struck. This one is in pretty bad shape considering those later restrikes were generally made for collectors rather than veterans.

• 4 weeks later...

1812 Fondation de l'ecole des beaux-arts à Rome, France

Laskey CXXXI

Bramsen 1178

d'Essling 2569

899258.jpg

58mm Link

New pics. Found it while organizing the new safe.

• 9 months later...

I have a decent example of one of the original medals which gives quite a good idea of how nice they can be.

Picton%20img.jpg

Regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, that's exactly the sort of example that'll replace mine. Though I might keep mine then because it's a different metal, etc...

In any case, nice medal. :ninja:

Archived