CoinPeople.com

Ancient Coin Price Search

jlueke

I have a very early alpha stage test for ancient coin prices. I think the general format will look like this. I'm going to add a denomination search and currency converter once I get the bulk of the data loaded.

Let me know what you think or would like to see.

Ancient Coin Price Auction Results

There's still a ton I plan to get to but it needs time.

My basic goal is to have data that is standardized so it's easy to search on specific rulers, denominations etc. without wading through a lot of false positives.

Looking good so far. Do you plan to show only the most recent and best quality sale for each type, or all available sales regardless of quality and date of sale? Do you plan to reveal where the coin was sold or provide a list of sites used to pull data from?

It will show who sold the coin.

For ancients I won't include ebay because you can't use the images nor the seller's description of grade so the data by itsself becomes less than useful.

I'll have most of the public sales listed not just the best and hopefully some private data too. Eventually I'd like to even key in some classic sales.

Much to do, much to do.

Yes, the first page is Roman Imperial. Part of making the searching easier is breaking this into a few classifications. I think I;m going to go with Greek, Parthian, Sasanian, Medieval, Roman Republic, Roman Imperial, and Byzantine to start

It will show who sold the coin.

For ancients I won't include ebay because you can't use the images nor the seller's description of grade so the data by itsself becomes less than useful.

I'll have most of the public sales listed not just the best and hopefully some private data too.  Eventually I'd like to even key in some classic sales.

Much to do, much to do.

You should be able to find some good sources for auction records on this site - Coin Archives - Ancients

Yes, those are the usual suspects. The trouble is getting the image permissions. Also, I aim to get more private sale data in addition to the public records. Coinarchives is the starting point, my goal is to have something one leve more organized.

Yes and no. Wildwinds looks at mostly ebay so the original source of the auction is potentially in question. Wildwinds does not cover the regular auctioneers. Coinarchives does, but again the data is all in a blob.

My primary goal is to organize the pricing data. So what I am doing is standardizing the names and terms across languages, the prices across time, and making the searches more direct with less fuzziness (although a fuzzy search may be an option).

All this is based really on what I like to see, whether anyone else finds it helpful is another matter.

I want to be able to put in an emperor, mint, denomination, or whatever primary characteristic and get a listing in date order.

Definitely, I have pretty much given up on ebay for ancients. Vcoins/Vauctions works much better for my needs. For modern PCGS/ANACS/NGC stuff ebay is perfectly fine.

After looking at VCoins, everything on eBay just looks like flea market quality junque :ninja:

Now before VCoins linked up most of the top ancient dealers into one venue, ebay did have some good stuff from time to time, and Wildwinds has results from some very nice material that sold on eBay 4-5 yrs ago. But those are 4-5 yr old prices too.

I've updated things a bit for the Ancient Roman Search. The gui will be improved, but first I'm going t start creating the interfaces for the other main categories and then loading the bulk data.

Ancient Roman Coin Search

• 2 weeks later...

Archived