CoinPeople.com

starting my `unwanteds' clearout

Having started the process of imaging my coins to put on omnicoin, i've come to realised just how much stuff I actually have that I have simply lost interest in and it is well past the time when I should have disposed of them to make room and funding to support my current interests.

Before resorting to ohboy auction site or Spinks to dispose of my unwanteds, I thought I would test the level of interest with coinpeople peop's.

I've got a few of my modern silver stuff (that's nearly everything post 1800 in my books) and a few of my gold coins posted on omnicoin.com. They are all up for grabs for the right offer. I'm way out of touch with coin market values as i've been more or less concentrating on jetons and ancients these past few years. So have a look on:

http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=Ian

If you see anything of interest to you then make a reasonable offer via PM. You might just get an acceptance, but please....no insulting low ball offers.

I've also got UK proof sets, silver piedfort proofs etcetera. Most US commemoratives from 1986, a complete BUnc boxed set of the Munich Olympics 10 marks (24 coins in total), the Austrian Niobium coins, and lots and lots of other stuff. If there's something you are looking out for...you never know I might have it (or not as the case may be), so ask.

Ian

The Scottish Ryal, 1570-

Pour moi, s'il vous plai?

A few months ago I would have had a problem parting with any coin. Not so now that i've decided to make a start to my `debunking' mission.

Now I only have a problem parting with coins prior to 1800. Even then, I'm going to go `cold turkey' on this and dispose of my gold escudo, my Francis I ecu de soleil .... and probably a goodly few Brits and European stuff as well. i don't really know where i'll stop, but i want to trim right down to my real core interests and that means getting rid of a few thousand coins.

Now then, as you know the Ryal you have in mind is prior to 1800 and if I was forced to choose my favourite coin in my collection, I guess that would be `the' one (the Transylvanian would come in a close second). As such it would probably take four well padded men armed with crowbars...or alternatively, an exceedingly large wad of notes to prise that one from my possession. By all means, feel free to tempt me with an exceedingly large wad though. :ninja:

Ian

My wife has me on the short leash spending wise, otherwise I would send a case of Talisker your way.

OK, Talisker IS an alternative option. :ninja:

Mind you, I won't mention what the last bottle of Talisker cost me. I nearly had to sit down and have a stiff drink when I was told. Come to think of it...I did. :lol:

What a lovely way to spend some time. I really enjoyed looking at your coins. The Gothic Crown stold my heart, she is beautiful and one of my dream coins. There are many many others that took my breath away also. You have wonderful taste :ninja:

What a lovely way to spend some time. I really enjoyed looking at your coins. The Gothic Crown stold my heart, she is beautiful and one of my dream coins. There are many many others that took my breath away also. You have wonderful taste :ninja:

Thanks.

wow what a collection you have what are you asking for your shooting thalers. Budy i hope you dont regret giving up a collection like that I think you will.. Good luck to you

Okay Ian, need some clarification.

All coins 1800 and newer are for sale, or limited to the ones you have marked as being for sale?

OK. All coins 1800 and newer. The jetons are staying. I just got fed up going through them all one at a time to mark them as being `available'.

wow what a collection you have what are you asking for your shooting thalers.  Budy i hope you dont regret giving up a collection like that I think you will..  Good luck to you

Simply stated, my tastes and my interests have shifted considerably over the years, becoming increasingly more expensive in the process. Since focusing on french (1540 -1880) and french jetons I haven't really been in the market for anything else other than the very occasional ancient, mediaeval, or medal. It's well past due time to sell the stuff i'm no longer all that interested in. The modern stuff I have on omnicoin is the starting point for the exercise. The shooting talers will definitely go, but not the shooting medals. They stay :ninja: .

I haven't had a chance to even consider what I want for them. If I get offers that prove to match what I paid for them in the first place (or better) then i'll consider them. However, some stuff (fairly modern proofs) I bought for prices that were much higher then than the current catalogues value them. Obviously I will have to bite a number of bullets in that respect. Without exception the coins you see are all much better in the flesh (my scanner is duff and my scanning skills are even duffer). You know what the catalogues say / what the market values are. No-one in their right mind would want to part with them for less, but I will try to be reasonable within the parameters of what i paid and current value. Happy to discuss any enquiry via PM.

I think this is common with all of us, we accumulate stuff over a long period of time and lose interest in it later. I have safe deposit boxes full of stuff that I no longer collect or am really interested in, but have had a long time and have a hard time parting with. I used to collect colonial USA paper money and have a fairly sizable collection of it, but I have no interest in it now But the thought of parting with it is sacrilege. Other stuff, ie some of the more modern Scottish paper money I have been able to part with if I did not own it a long time. Others, such as the Caledonian £1 from 1891 have sentimental value and cannot go. It is something frankly is not understood by non collectors I think.

I have piles of stuff I would like to put up on eBay right now, on my desk are two German 1/2 Marks from 1906 and 1918 that I would like to part with, but cannot bear to have an eBay auction for.

Ian I have a french piece that some one need s info on . You came to mind

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/uploade...3_hailmedal.jpg

actuallY I do not Know what the prices are for shooting thalers i have been searching for Info on the ones i have . i would assume that they are worth a fair bit, but I do not know. My comments were not meant to be offensive . as many coins and variants of such that i have i have a great collection . you my friend have a Museam type of collection in my opionion. thats all. And I have a lot of friends who have told me that they sold their first collections, and still regret it. just do not want to see some one else make the same mistake. but good luck to you..

actuallY I do not Know what the prices are for shooting thalers i have been searching for Info on the ones i have . i would assume that they are worth a fair bit, but I do not know.  My comments were not meant to be offensive . as many coins and variants of such that i have i have a great collection .

There was no offense taken :lol:. I've got the 2nd edition KM for 1801 -1900. I honestly don't know how it compares to the latest edition.

you my friend have a Museam type of collection in my opionion. thats all. And I have a lot of friends who have told me that they sold their first collections, and still regret it. just do not want to see some one else make the same mistake.  but good luck to you..

Thanks. I know exactly what you mean about `regret' too. :cry: You are talking to a guy who gave away (as in `for free') his entire collection of Marvel Man, Marvel Boy, Superman , Superboy, Green lantern, Dr Strange etc etc comics ...oh yes, and a huge collection of postage stamps too. That was roughly 40 years ago when the family moved house. I had issue #1 through to #100 for all of the comics.

As you can see, it didn't kill the magpie in me :ninja:

Ian

`Regrets....i've had a few,

but then again....

too few to mention.'

Ian I have a french piece that some one need s info on . You came to mind

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/uploade...3_hailmedal.jpg

I'm not exactly all that brilliant on french medals but that one does trigger a recollection of at least having seen it before. Other than that i'm struggling, so not much use to you on this occasion.

The image on the web page is too small for me to make out who the engraver is or to make out any legends present on the piece. is there any chance of a higher def. image of both sides, note of the diameter and metal used? If you could ask if there's any edge markings / legends as well it would help determine whether it is an original or restrike.

Sheer guesswork would suggest that it is either religious in origin or more probably a generic medal / jeton type used to commemorate births / christenings.

http://www.finemedals.com/georges_dupre.htm this what we can comep w/ so far. thanks for the effort. I know some coins etc can be really hard and take half of the world to figure out.. Thank again--JIM

http://www.finemedals.com/georges_dupre.htm this what we can comep w/ so far. thanks for the effort. I know some coins etc  can be really hard and take half of the world to figure out..  Thank again--JIM

I'm pretty certain that I saw an example of the medal in question on French ebay within the last few weeks but all the search strings i've tried have drawn a blank. That only means that whoever was selling it didn't make mention of `Dupre' in the title or description.

I browse the medals section on ebay.fr on a regular basis. One is bound to show up again soon and when it does, or if i find out anything about it beforehand, i'll let you know.

Ian

Archived