CoinPeople.com

Haze and fog

Vfox

I have a PL morgan I recently purchased and the thing is just stunning and reflective....under certain angles of light. The rest of the time it is covered in this gross looking haze, and I was wondering if there is a way to remove haze without destroying the PL fields? This coin is in no way perfect, it's a MS-60 ish PL, but I would like to try and make it nice enough to actually keep with my main collection, and not my "sell when you find time" pile. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

By the way, these are scans so seeing the PL fields with it is nearly impossible.

219uowp.jpg

219uvcj.jpg

I might try the "dip" method, but I'm not sure what that might to to the PL fields. The coin looks a lot better in hand, compared to the scans, plus it actually looks PL in hand, and not all gray, but it still bothers the heck out of me. More than likely I'll end up just selling this one after a bit. Any clue on what this year of PL morgans should go for in low MS grades?

Does anything actually remove the haze, like acetone or anything like that? Or is it stuck as is?

Because I didn't pay much for this coin, I felt it would be good to try a dip with. Turns out it is still hazey, but the fields are MUCH cleaner and the coin looks, overall much nicer. I will post photos of it shortly.

Archived