CoinPeople.com

Garage Sale This Weekend

Scottishmoney

We had a garage sale this weekend, after much trepidation about doing it and a lot of planning we finally parted with quite a few of our excesses from the last few years.

When planning our cash box I made sure to have a liberal supply of halves and $2 bills to give out in change. Despite that we received in several hundred dollars in one dollar bills, and lots and lots of loose change for smaller purchases. Last night when I was counting the receipts, I found a 1956-D Jefferson Nickel, okay not too exciting. When I moved on to dimes, I spied a 1956 Roosevelt peering out at me. Silver! It is the first non Kennedy half silver I have gotten in a couple of years or so.

It was interesting hearing the comments from people when I gave out halves in change, many said they were the first they had seen in years. All but one were excited about getting $2 bills. One lady just about had a heart attack when she noticed it in her change.

I almost always get positive responses on handing out halves and $2 bills as well. It's the dollar coins people aren't always thrilled to see.

I think most people enjoy getting the unusual in change and promptly save it or give it to their kids to save. It's a great method of planting for new numismatists. :ninja:

I always save a roll of half dollars from my searches to spend. A lot of people go "oh wow! Haven't seen those in months".

Spending Ike's is a fun thing to do too. People kind of look at you with the idea "are you kidding me? Is this fake?"

*hides* I'm one that gets excited when getting a $2 bill back. Apparently they are widely used in the asian areas of New York. Parents said just about every vendor there had them.

Archived